Silver tubing for big-hole bead cores

Started by ajda, June 25, 2015, 09:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flame n fuse

Alan, that's a very interesting read. Thanks for posting it.

Fluffstar

Quote from: flame n fuse on September 27, 2015, 06:24:26 PM
Alan, that's a very interesting read. Thanks for posting it.

What she said!  I will be interested if Father Christmas brings me a bead coring machine! =) 
Kathy

Mars

Me three, fascinating read.  Am new to all of it but have seen traditional silver anealing done for rings when I covered a jewellery making course as a blogger. 

Margram

Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

ajda

Alan
www.ajdalampwork.etsy.com

Shirl

Hi Alan, What a very interesting and informative post.
I am now back into making beads and am wanting to silver core some again. Are you still offering this tube for sale, and did it pass its tests

thanks

ajda

Yes, I'm currently supplying it in my Etsy shop - though closed for a couple of days as I'm going up to London. At the moment I'm not sure if I'll continue supplying the 960 - one option is to get a new stock of 935 which is the grade people are more familiar with, especially in the US... but to be honest I'm not that keen on being a supplier long term... would rather just focus on making. I've sold quite a lot of 960 and am using it myself, for coring glass beads and in various other silver jewellery projects - it seems really good for purpose to me, but I've not had much feedback from other users, so can't really confirm how people are finding it compared to traditional sterling. If you go to my Etsy shop (www.etsy.com/uk/shop/ajdalampwork) when it's open again, probably Friday, you'll see I'm offering small sample lengths, so you can if you want try it out without committing to a big purchase.
Alan
Alan

Shirl

Thanks Alan. If I just get a small sample that might be better to try.  I am in no great rush for it as I do have a little left to keep me going for now.

Could I please ask for some advice on cutting the tube? L have a couple of nearly used pieces with just over an inch left on them, but can't cut it to length as I can't grip it and turn the tube cutter. Is there an easy way to cut the short lengths?

ajda

The best way is probably with a jeweller's saw - but still fiddly to do and it's difficult to get a perfectly perpendicular cut without also having a special tube cutting vice. As long as I go on supplying it and as long as it's not mixed up with other alloys, I would always be happy to buy back any off-cut ends and scraps of Argentium (for cash or credit against a future purchase). I can find a use for odd lengths in other projects, or in the end can remelt the scrap and recast for making wire and sheet. Unfortunately, I can't mix traditional sterling with it, so it's important to me to keep them separate.
Alan

Shirl