Damaged kiln

Started by sandmor1, December 21, 2015, 03:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandmor1

I have the chance of a new kiln which has damaged brickwork. It has a long crack running down one side.  My husband is strongly against it as he feels this will deteriorate very quickly once we start firing. The price is a bargain but not if it falls apart after a year or two..would anyone like to add their two pennyworth?
Thanks
Sandra

ajda

A crack, depending on how big and bad it is, may not be much of a problem and brickwork can be repaired or replaced in any case - so it could be a real bargain, but I should see what Lee at Kilncare says about it. What make/type of kiln is it? And what are you going to use it for?
Alan
www.ajdalampwork.etsy.com

sandmor1

Thanks Lee..that's very helpful

sandmor1

Sorry...Alan..I meant Alan..senior moment

Sandra

Steampunkglass

You can get some cement that fills in the cracks, or just replace the bricks which aren't too expensive either. I have a small ex-ceramics kiln here that was in a terrible state when I got it, and literally had to dig exploded bits of element and glaze out of the brickwork, then replace/fill some of the firebricks. Its been a great little kiln for the past few years, and is clicking away behind me as I type. If you feel confident enough to do the repair, and the cost of new bricks isn't more than you'd save, I'd give it some serious consideration, but if it's only a few pounds saving then I'd get a new one with a full guarantee in case there is anything else wrong with it

sandmor1

Well actually the price reduction is huge..from nearly £1600 down to £800.
My husband was not in favour of it from the start. He never really likes buying anything damaged in case of other unseen damage.
Anyway after much tooing and froing..first a second hand kiln, next a new Nebertherm or Paragon then the  new damaged Paragon...I have finally decided on the Kilncare Hobbyfuser3. Definitely. . It gets the best reviews and Warm Glass have always been very helpful.
So that's it.. Christmas and New Year  over I will be adding a new kiln to my new studio in the garden which was completed yesterday. Now what do I do with my Skutt Hotstart.  Keep it or sell it?
I know a second smaller kiln is always useful but really I don't have room for two. But although it is less than 2 years old I don't suppose I would get much for it. Oh dear..decisions..decisions
Sandra

ajda

I don't think you can go wrong with a Hobbyfuser - I'd choose one of theirs over a Paragon every time. We have three kilns, including a Hobbyfuser, and all are useful, but if you need the space you should be able to get a good 2nd hand price for the Skutt.
Alan
www.ajdalampwork.etsy.com

Rascal

I love my Hobbyfuser so good choice. Lee and his guys are brilliant and they've made an excellent kiln, design wise and quality.  I kept my Paragon SC2 for lampworking and occasionally still use it for small fusing but am so glad I got the hobbyfuser for main fusing.