kiln distance from wall

Started by the lady with the lamp, June 12, 2015, 04:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the lady with the lamp

Help need some advice about having my kiln near a wall,i have to move my kiln onto my workbench as my partner needs his space back,hes making me a box to put my pvc tube and glass in and there is space on the bench as im moving my little one out,but the leaflet for my kiln says it needs 12 inch from wall theres no way it will fit if that's right is there any thing I can do or will it be okay with less space,we are going to put some stainless steel on the glass stand and the back off kiln will be near there please any advice,Parin.

Blue Box Studio

My SC2 sits on bricks (right height for me) on top of a kitchen worktop, diagonally across a corner and kiln to wall is probably only 3" - so far kiln and studio are fine and the wall doesn't get hot.  My Hotstart lives on a trolley I made, again kitchen worktop and the back is just far enough from the wall so I can get the lid open - if it's further away from the wall there is nowhere for me to stand!
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Lee - Kilncare

12" is the industry "norm". It is pretty much what us kilny chaps need to quote to stop ourselves from being sued to death if something went wrong. As Blue Box demonstrates, many many kilns have nowhere near 12" of space around them, and if they do, it usually finds that space being used :o)
Ir does depend very much on what the kiln is and what the wall construction is also.

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

the lady with the lamp

Thanks I thought it was a long way from wall,will put it on bricks though great idea and thanks to you both for the advice,Parin.

Fluffstar

If it helps with regards to heat spreading around the kiln... my cat sits underneath my hotstart pro (side of cat about 4inches from kiln base) for hours when it's on... so it can't be that hot!!
Kathy

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: Fluffstar on June 12, 2015, 08:09:30 PM
If it helps with regards to heat spreading around the kiln... my cat sits underneath my hotstart pro (side of cat about 4inches from kiln base) for hours when it's on... so it can't be that hot!!
Don't give my cats ideas!  Having just gone out there to turn my kiln off, just realised there is a big plastic bowl under my kiln full of sea glass, from my tidy up when I was doing arts week in May, so can't get that hot if it didn't melt (it wasn't intentional and is now moved, before the Cruelty to Kilns Society turn up and arrest me).

My Hotstart gets warm enough to keep the studio comfortable on a Winter's (Summer's) day, handy for drying a glass bowl of beads in a hurry
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Lee - Kilncare

To give you a more accurate idea, our Hobbyfuser probably reaches 70- 80 degree c at it's hottest point at various points on the case, that's 20 degrees less than the boiling point of water and very similar to a hot radiator.
Thinner lined "American" style kilns will get hotter but you still may be around 120 - 140c on the case. Hot agreed, but air dilutes that heat every inch so within only a few inches the air temperature is much much cooler.
The real risk of kilns is when there is actual contact with the kiln case or something is very close for long periods of time meaning the kiln dries out the shelf or cupboard etc making it susceptable to flash points.
Ofcourse, to negate the risk of being sued, there should be 12" air space ;D

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

ajda

We got our first kiln while living in a caravan - very little space, and walls covered with flimsy plywood - a Paragon Caldera that was occasionally fired up to very high temperatures for porcelain. I satisfied myself that under normal operation it didn't pose a risk even quite close to the walls. But for peace of mind I cut sheets of fireproof plasterboard to line the walls and floor of the corner where it stood. It was also reassuring to have a good quality smoke alarm near it so we'd be woken in the night if something went wrong.
Alan
www.ajdalampwork.etsy.com