oxycon question

Started by jammie, October 25, 2014, 11:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jammie

I am on my 3rd oxycon, over about 4 ears right enough, but this one since i bought it hasn't got as 'good ' a flow as the others, they have all been different. This on i can get to a 4 but i am still having a too rich propane flame even with the propane turned way down at the torch, i have a bobcat so work with quite a small flame usually. I am thinking I could get another one and use them both, but waiting for one to come up second hand as cant stretch to a new recon  one from tuffers . Is there any way to get a better flow from an oxy or is it what it is?

Pat from Canvey

It sounds a bit odd that you're on your 3rd oxycon in 4 years. I had one of Martin's for about 7 years with no problems and recently passed it on to a friend to use. She reports no problems. Maybe I was just lucky. Have you done the usual like checking the filters or seeing if the tubing has developed a leak due to age. Mine are always indoors so always warm and cosy. Could that be a factor or dampness?

Redhotsal

You can improve the flow rate by removing the spongy prefilter (as long as you are working in a cleanish atmosphere). Also - make sure that there is enough fresh air getting to the unit to begine with. If it can't breathe in it won't be able to chuck out much in the way of flow rate so make sure the inlets are unblocked and getting a good air supply.

If you are, or know someone of a practical nature, you can open up the machine and have a good look inside. Inside the machine there will be various lengths of (usually) yellowy looking silicon tubing which transports the oxygen around the system. Open the unit and have a look at it working while open. Be really careful not to touch too much inside, especially metal components - there are a few capacitors and so on which might give you a shock, but with the unit open you will be able to see if there are any obvious leaks in the tubing. If there are, this will really decrease the flow rate. If the tubing is really brittle and gnarly it is usually worth replacing it all, as if it doesn't leak now it will probably do so soon. Also - you will probably see some disk-like items along the tubing which are inline with the air flow. These are usually little paper filters which are there to filter out anything of a bacterial nature. These will also cut down the flow rate - so in my machines we take them all out - you're not going to be using the machine for a medical breathing reason so they are redundant and just cut down the flow rate. If you do get the tubing changed you can remove these filters at the same time.

However, I agree with Pat - 3 oxycons in 4 years is three too many. Sounds as if your working conditions are not ideal - do you have a very damp environment? - because if so, that's oxycon death and if this is happening I think you need to address this before anything else. :(

jammie

None of them were straight from Tuffnells, one was 2nd hand from tuffers but bought from someone on the forum, because of the type there were no replacement parts available in the uk, the second was on its last legs already and was a stand in , i only paid 50 for it and got about a year from it, and the third the one i have was second hand but its never managed over 4 without the torch hissing at me so i think its just the way it is. I'm sure Martin said that they are all different in terms of output, I think they dont like being moved much and also that they were well used by the time I got them. mines is inside,  its in the utility room that wanted to be a conservatory but never made it, its heated though and dry, but it does get well damp where I live and this may well have an effect.  It's  been the same in winter as summer . I know its not the torch as it was fine with the last oxy. Maybe I'm just unlucky with them.
I shall have a lookie inside, I have opened them up and sorted one before, it was just a little thing wrong though. It is under a table, maybe i should try to find another space for it?
Thankyou x