Layering Float Glass?

Started by Barnacle Bay, January 14, 2014, 11:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barnacle Bay

Hi folks,

If layering 2 pieces of float glass, which sides should be put together, tin to tin or vicky verky? And which side should be on the kiln shelf? 

I do not have any float glass to experiment with, though it would be interesting to know as I keep pondering over the possible answers :)

Thanks in advance,

Lou

Nina A

I was totally ignorant about there being different sides of float/greenhouse glass until a couple of years ago. For years have just fused it as I've cut it,  never had a problem,   (maybe that'd would explain why sometimes it's slightly more green tinge than others?)  I'd be interested to see what other people think as well.
Nina

Zeldazog

Quote from: Nina A on January 14, 2014, 03:37:02 PM
I was totally ignorant about there being different sides of float/greenhouse glass until a couple of years ago.

Greenhouse glass doesn't have a tin side, it's rolled flat, rather than floated on a bed of tin, as it doesn't need to be as smooth (optically clear).

The different shades of green are probably just down to different batches being slightly different formulations.  I've had some pieces of float that had no obvious green tinge at all, although you can get low iron float glass for optical clarity (often used in things like display cabinets so they don't alter colours of products, etc)

Nicknack

I think I read somewhere on here that you shouldn't put tin to tin, a bit like dichroic (don't put dichro side to dichro side, as it doesn't stick very well).  I expect someone will come along soon who knows the answer.

Nick

Glyn Burton

It tends not to matter too much although it depends a bit on how high you are going to fire it,if you are just tacking then I probably wouldn't put tin to tin. I personally never put the tin side next to the shelf or mould as I find it can be more prone to sticking to the release.

Barnacle Bay

Very interesting info!

Thanks  ;)

Decorative Glass Supplies

Hi, this is a very good question with a straight forward answer. With sheet glass, as has been said it does not matter as it is made in a different way. However, float glass as we all know has a tin side. This in effect is slight contamination from the manner of productoin which gives it its clarity, with this in mind it should be none tin to none tine or there could be devitrification issues.
Hope this helps