Silver wire

Started by Tuliphenderson, August 12, 2014, 08:01:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuliphenderson

Hi there, newbie to glass fusing just wondering if any of you experts know of a wire I could use to make small window hangings, key rings etc. that will buff back up to a silver colour after being fired. I'm currently using copper but would like silver coloured wire in the final piece without the obvious cost of sterling/fine silver. Thank you

silkworm

I tried aluminium in the kiln the other day and it did not change colour or blacken at all! It is obviously much softer than copper so may be a bit flexible for key rings, I use it a lot to make rings out of my lampwork beads and it seems fairly durable.
Mary

Zeldazog

Nichrome wire, inside the glass it will be dark grey/black once fired, but you can clean the wire back up.

Tuliphenderson

Thanks for that, I'll have a little try with both.

shafeenan

Hi - I'm new to fusing and have tried 925 silver wire (turns green where encased in the glass) and copper (turns red in the glass) and both are black outside the glass. Obviously I can burnish both back to their original colour outside the glass but is there a wire that doesn't discolour within the glass? Someone suggested aluminium, and someone suggested paperclips!!  Anyone have views on either? Or something different?
Would be very grateful for ideas!

DementedMagpie

Kathy

Blog - Flickr - Etsy - Facebook

shafeenan

gotta be worth a try! thanks

jeannette

Fine silver will stay silver inside and out, but seems a bit fancy for a window hanging. I always use nichrome for household items and then fine silver in jewellery if I want to incorporate the wire.