displaying a glass panel

Started by jackiesimmonds, February 10, 2015, 01:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackiesimmonds

I have created a tall, thin panel out of float glass, with a "drawing" on it, done with powders.  I sand-blasted the back, intending to mount it somehow within a box frame.  But I suspect the glue will show.  It has been suggested that I buy a piece of slate from a garden centre, create a chanel for the panel to sit in, secured with silicone, and supported with little acrylic posts.

I am not sure about this....I have a Dremel but would not know which attachment to use to create the channel or the holes for the posts.  I find info about Dremel attachments is like Hen's Teeth.

If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful.

ps is it possible to include photos in these posts?  If so, would love to know how.  I found the image icon but could not work out how to use it! 

Zeldazog

Moira HFG

Just my opinion - but I think it's a shame to put a work like you describe into a box frame. Wouldn't it be more interesting with light coming through it?
Maybe consider mounting it with something like this?
http://www.creativeglassshop.co.uk/product/33648/wallfittings-aluminium-d-18mm-upto-9mm-glassthickness-4-pc.html

jackiesimmonds

Actually, it looks slightly better against a white ground than free standing, which is why I considered a box frame.  But even doing that is problematic....how to secure?  Glue would show.  I'd like it to float.

The wall fixings are too expensive.  I have bought an Adjust-a-bail, to see how that might work, it is acrylic.

I would really prefer to stand it on something.  Sob.  I keep seeing images of tall bits of flat glass standing on wood blocks, with metal pieces which look like the wall ones - but I am blowed if I can find these vertical ones anywhere - and I am persistent, spending ages searching on line.  Someone called Stephen Hall shows pieces displayed like this but his website does not work so I cannot find him to ask him!

Incidentally......have tried to upload a photo of it from Flickr.  I copied and pasted the Flickr address between the image buttons. It is 400x300 only so I do not think it is a size issue.   But it has not appeared.  Anyone know what I am doing wrong?  Here is the address if you want to see it:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/131196686@N07/16321069538/

Lakelady

You can get wall fixings that are used for mirrors at your local glazing place for around £3...that's what I use - I make a lot of fused painted panels  :)
Turner Rowe Glass Art

Zeldazog

Quote from: jackiesimmonds on February 12, 2015, 09:58:37 AM

Incidentally......have tried to upload a photo of it from Flickr.  I copied and pasted the Flickr address between the image buttons. It is 400x300 only so I do not think it is a size issue.   But it has not appeared.  Anyone know what I am doing wrong?  Here is the address if you want to see it:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/131196686@N07/16321069538/

To post images from Flickr, you have to select the BBCode link, which you find in the share box (a little arrow pointing up and right, click on it will bring up your options)

There's a screen grab of where you will find the correct code on the thread I posted a link to previously.

jackiesimmonds

thanks for pointing me to the mirror grips at local glazier, I will go see.

And trying again with an image:

sri lanka fisherman by jackiesimmonds1944, on Flickr

Yipee!  Thanks, I am a dork, I did not see the Flickr instructions before.  Doing things in a hurry......

Moira HFG

Zeldazog

I had a quick look at Stephen Hall's work before, I've not seen stands like that in nine years of glass fusing, so I'd guess he either makes them himself and has metal tooling equipment, or they're bespoke - probably cost you even more than stand-offs....

Moira HFG

A solid, heavy base is a good idea. Perhaps you could find a local craftsperson who could rout you a channel in a chunky piece of hardwood to stand it in?