Jens Pind and Criss cross chain

Started by silverlemon, March 17, 2008, 09:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverlemon

Agggrhhhh, I've been struggling to make these 2 designs work, using the Irene From Peterson book Great Wire Jewellery. I know it can be done, but I can't help feeling that they've missed out a diagram on each of the instructions. It's really bugging me big time, because I'm always the person people come to for help with chain making and making sense of instructions.  Can anyone please point me in the direction of a decent tutorial for these?
Bionic Sarah xxx    Sarah Downton On Facebook  My Etsy Shop

TheJanie

Try http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=9008 for Jen's Pind (I have difficulties with this weave too!).

Not sure about the other one though...?  Could it be this?  http://apfilms.corradiation.net/jewelry/tutorial.html

TheJanie

silverlemon

Quote from: TheJanie on March 17, 2008, 09:43:52 PM
Another Jen's Pind link... http://www.cgmaille.com/tutorials/jpl.shtml

Thank you janie
This one's really well explained, I found it just before you posted! lol.

I thought it was a rope chain, I used the wrong size links and ended up with a rope, now I know why.

I can't find the criss cross on either of these 2 sites, maybe it has another name?

Ooo, the AP films one looks like the criss cross...getting excited!
I have to say I've made a few different styles of linkages from other instructions and never had a problem, and I'm not very impressed with the book I mentioned in my first post.

silverlemon

Quote from: TheJanie on March 17, 2008, 09:39:44 PM

Not sure about the other one though...?  Could it be this?  http://apfilms.corradiation.net/jewelry/tutorial.html

OK, this is Criss Cross, very well explained and good diagrams. Irenes would be better if she had a couple more diagrams.
Thank you so much Janie, you're a star.  :)

Bumpy Beads

The best advice I've been given for JPL was from our George. Once you get the first few rings in place, from thereon in, there is really only one place that the next rings will fit. Provided you get them in at the correct angle, there's not much you can do wrong. JPL took me ages, but then it just clicked. Good luck!
Heather

My Etsy Shop

mizgeorge

Both those are excellent tutorials for JPL. I actually find this one of the easiest of all weaves - once the first six rings are in, it's almost impossible to go wrong provided you have the right AR rings (I try to aim for 2.9). It's worth trying to imagine three sets of overlapping rings (like toppled dominos). If you can't visualise the pattern to start with, it really helps to work in three colours (eg silver, copper, brass). Another tip is to try inserting your rings from the back rather than the front of your work, with the rings opened so that the right hand side of the ring is back and the left hand side forwards (if you're right handed).

Janie's right, the so-called criss cross chain does seem to be a förårs kaede (which has a cross like structure as you make it). The link she's posted is excellent (actually, I think it's also the only tutorial I've seen for it, so handy that it's a good one!). This is a gorgeous chain, which I use a lot as it works up surprisingly quickly. I cut rings from 0.8m wire with an id of 3.5mm (to give an AR of 4.375), which makes a really nice weight of chain without costing a fortune!

I'm afraid that I think the directions in 'Great Wire Jewelry' are some of the worst I've encountered! Which is a shame because the viking knit and braid instructions are so very good.

TheJanie

Quote from: silverlemon on March 17, 2008, 10:04:11 PM
Irenes would be better if she had a couple more diagrams.
Thank you so much Janie, you're a star.  :)

Not a problem - glad I could help!  It makes up for all the lampworking advice I've made use of from this fab forum :)

I agree re: Irene's book.  I've ended up finding alternate instructions for many of the weaves in it elsewhere.  MailleArtisans is a great place for info... think I'll have to have a go at Jen's Pind again...

TheJanie

Quote from: mizgeorge on March 17, 2008, 10:20:39 PM
Both those are excellent tutorials for JPL. I actually find this one of the easiest of all weaves - once the first six rings are in, it's almost impossible to go wrong provided you have the right AR rings

I think I'll have to have another go.  My first couple of attempts had me wanting to fling everything across the room! ;)  Thinking back, I think I only tried from the instructions in this book, so that's possibly the problem.

I'm afraid that I think the directions in 'Great Wire Jewelry' are some of the worst I've encountered! Which is a shame because the viking knit and braid instructions are so very good.

I'm glad it's not just me who thought these instruction were poor!  But I also found the Viking Knit one a bit confusing.  Maybe it's just me on that one as I've tried instructions from a couple of websites too and still had problems!  I'll have another go when I feel patient enough to try ;)

silverlemon

oh I'm so relieved it's not only me having trouble with Irenes book. I was starting to wonder if I'd lost it.

I tried the criss cross last night with 0.8 wire and 4mm dia ID and I'm not sure about it. It seems to lie flat with a pile of 4 rings staggered like a brick wall on each side. It could be that I've not got quite the correct AR. This is something I learnt last night, about the AR. I knew it was important but hadn't seen it expressed as a ratio before. I'm going to be a geek and go through all my patterns now and work out the AR for each one.  ;D

palaeobore

I cut rings from 0.8m wire with an id of 3.5mm (to give an AR of 4.375), which makes a really nice weight of chain without costing a fortune!

Hi George

I'm thinking of having a go at the förårs kaede and wondered if you could give me an idea of how many rings you need per inch (or some other measurement!)

Thanks
Claire
I became an archaeologist because I wanted to drive around in a big Landrover, smoking, cursing, and finding treasure.
                                                               Carmel Schrire

mizgeorge

Quote from: palaeobore on March 18, 2008, 01:51:51 PM
I cut rings from 0.8m wire with an id of 3.5mm (to give an AR of 4.375), which makes a really nice weight of chain without costing a fortune!

Hi George

I'm thinking of having a go at the förårs kaede and wondered if you could give me an idea of how many rings you need per inch (or some other measurement!)

Thanks
Claire

On a quick eyeball (bit tricky as only one eye's working at the mo) about 24!