Drop melt in a SC2

Started by anditsinthefish, January 14, 2015, 01:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anditsinthefish

I have been thinking about a few ideas and wanted to try some drop melts however I only have a SC2... I have found some small pots to do the drop melts from and I would use kiln dams so I don't end up with a messy kiln.

Has anyone tried this?

Sarah xx
Sarah xx
Website. Blog. Flickr.

Pat from Canvey

Yes and I wouldn't recommend you try. I do my usual melts at 930 deg c in my big kiln and tried a tiny melt in my SC2. The amount of heat escaping through the bead door changed the blue paint colour to white even with a mass of ceramic fibre jammes accross the door to stop heat loss. The melt of Spectrum glass was fine though and about cabochon size.

anditsinthefish

Quote from: Pat from Canvey on January 14, 2015, 02:30:17 PM
Yes and I wouldn't recommend you try. I do my usual melts at 930 deg c in my big kiln and tried a tiny melt in my SC2. The amount of heat escaping through the bead door changed the blue paint colour to white even with a mass of ceramic fibre jammes accross the door to stop heat loss. The melt of Spectrum glass was fine though and about cabochon size.

Thanks for the reply Pat... I suspected this might be the case. Fingers crossed for a premium bond win for a big girls kiln then. hmmm back to the drawing board.
Sarah xx
Website. Blog. Flickr.

GorgeousGlassGifts

Have you thought about hiring kiln time from one of the fusing glass suppliers near you, & doing a pot melt in their kiln? I don't know where you're based, but Creative Glass in Kent do kiln hire, as do Glass Studio Supplies, so your nearest supplier might too?
It might not be cheap, but it's got to be cheaper than buying a bigger kiln  :D