Glass enamels on ceramic?

Started by Irene, January 12, 2015, 04:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irene

I am going to a course in ceramics starting February, and wondered it it is at all possible to use glass enamels on ceramics? Or if it is possible to melt glass on a fired ceramic disc for instance or a ceramic bead, and then fire it, Or will the glass just pop off, or break off due to stress.  Anyone know any good way of combining glass and ceramics?

Pat from Canvey

Doing a Google search on "combining glass with ceramics" gives some site suggestions. See for instance, http://www.lakesidepottery.com/HTML%20Text/Tips/firing-fusing-glass-on-pottery-ceramic.htm

★★Terri★★

You can use glass with ceramics.  It's best done on bisque fired clays.  You need to experiment it bit, and depending on melting temperature you most likely would need to find a way to stop the glass flowing off the price.  When I taught ceramics way back when there was a bit of a craze among the students to fire small bowls with homemade 'frit' in - smashed bottles etc.  Some where a little more sophisticated and made tiles in the fashion of tube lined pottery.

Care needs to be taken with stresses caused during the cooling cycle as if the ratio of glass is too high to the body of clay supporting it the clay may crack.

Enamels are frequently used with ceramics, but they are usually applied to glazed surfaces then the item is refired - often several times as the maturing temperatures of the colours can be different.

Steampunkglass

I did see a potter sometime ago that put old beads in the bottom of her bowls (they were quite steep sided so only had a small 10p size area in the bottom) so when they melted they made little 'lakes' of colour in the bottom. Maybe a good use for old fuglies  ;)