Main Menu

I need an annealing buddy!

Started by andrew.spencer.2, December 23, 2014, 10:37:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steampunkglass

If it's under an inch, and stayed intact up till now, I'd agree it should be ok batch annealed. I've done marbles from this size that I've put into the kiln cold then slowly ramped up to temperature (between 250-325 deg c per hour) that have mostly survived. I'd be more worried about the external colour, (I'm thinking probably of the unobtanium group too) but as it's on the surface it's more likely to have less cracking issues so long as you don't have a really long garaging time

Lotti

Quote from: ajda on December 23, 2014, 10:40:33 PM
Quote from: Lotti on December 23, 2014, 03:54:49 PM
I can see you on a clear day
I'll try to remember to give you a wave on the next clear day, Lotti - though I tend to be looking out the other way to see the hills of Ireland...

Andrew, I should go with Emma of GarishGlobes if I were you - I think you'd be in safe hands there. But if you're going to be working much with boro you need to get your kiln sorted - apart from anything else there's lots of fun to be had with kiln striking colours...

http://www.taglass.com/Articles.asp?ID=259 - scroll down to bottom of page for some interesting points about aventurines.

I would go with Emma too ;)

We can't see Ireland from here, next stop USA to the west, but I love it when I can see the Welsh coast on a clear day past Lundy :)

andrew.spencer.2

Thanks for your input Glenn, this is actually the first time I've dusted off the torch since your class. The marble in the picture is about 37mm, but I didn't garage it at all, just straight into the bubbles.