Taurus Ring Saw or Inexpensive Diamond Trim Saw?

Started by jackiesimmonds, December 16, 2014, 08:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackiesimmonds

I am not going to be doing too many complicated shapes, I don't think..and definitely not doing stained glass, only jewellery pendants, and bowls and plates...but I do want to be able to cut all-ready fused pendant pieces into new shapes when I don't like the shape that comes out of the kiln...and perhaps also cut thicker glass.....am really torn.  I know the Taurus is a good machine, but I like that the Diamon Trim Saw locks the glass in place for straight lines. I believe the Taurus is more difficult for straight lines.    Very confused here.  There is also a huge difference in price (and a big difference between the price of the Diamond Trim Saw from one of the glass suppliers, and from Amazon....I wonder if they are the same......amazon is half the price.)

any advice gratefully received.

Zeldazog

Personally, I have never used a ring saw, or another option the band saw (which might offer a compromise between the two)? 

I've only ever used a water fed tile saw, which is pretty similar to the Diamond Trim Saw, although not sure about the "water recirculation system" and I see that Warm Glass state it comes with a glass blade, which might account for the price - but without the Amazon link, it's difficult for us to compare.

Moira HFG

I love my Taurus, but I love to cut complex wiggly shapes in thinner glass.
If I just wanted to tidy up edges, I'd favour a bobbin grinder (or hand laps).
If I wanted to cut thick glass into even slices (cutting up thick fused bars for example, or fusing a big chunk then cutting into smaller pendant shapes) I'd go for a diamond trimsaw.
A diamond bandsaw, I agree with Zeldazog, falls somewhere between the two.

It's difficult when you're starting out to know what you'll love doing, and pursue seriously. My advice would be - choose what seems best for what you want to do in the next 12 months. If you change your mind, you can sell it!

jackiesimmonds

what sensible replies!   yes, I tend to forget that there is always the option to sell.

I haven't really looked at anything between the ring saw and the trim saw.  I went onto the Warm Glass site, and also chatted to them...they say they sell what they use in their workshops, and they use the diamond trim saw a lot.  http://www.warm-glass.co.uk/diamond-trim-saw-p-3575.html

the amazon one looks the same......http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plasplug-DWW200-Compact-Tile-Cutter/dp/B00HZRMVEE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1418814345&sr=8-2&keywords=plasplug+compact+xl

I will write to them and ask if it has the 110mm glass cutting wheel...but if not, the glass wheel is only £16, making the package price still inexpensive by comparison.

I guess I mostly want it for cutting, as Moira says, big chunky bits of glass into smaller shapes.  I think.  !!  But Moira you are so right about not knowing what I will pursue seriously.  I suspect it will be a mix of pendant pieces, which so far have sold quite well, and various sizes of bowls and platters and vases, which I hope will sell alongside my popular enamel on copper bowls, at the two Open Studios I do each year.   

Zeldazog

They certainly look the same, looks like they have even used the same supplier stock photo!

I guess an online tool supplier might not have the overheads that Warm Glass have got with their bricks and mortar shop.  Warm Glass also offer a two year warranty on it, I can't see that on the Amazon one (but if it's a supplier warranty, it could be missed off I guess).  I couldn't find the 'plasplugs' glass wheel for £16 though, although not looked everywhere.

I'd love to know how effective and what exactly the "water recirculation system" is... it looks like it's just drain holes back into the water well, which is what I'd expect them to have - although the tile saw we had a Uni, you switched it on and stood to one side whilst it kicked out the initial water, but you always got wet using it! 

jackiesimmonds

Hmmm....getting very wet does not appeal that much... :-\..my glass studio is a room in my house which has carpet (albeit old carpet) but it is not a dedicated studio with a hard floor - sounds like I need a wet room!  I feel sure the students at the glass class I attended for a week, used something of this nature, and that was a small room, we were all on top of each other but nobody seemed to get too wet.   SO wish I could try these both out. 

Am off to look at Band Saws, see if they look different.   Just to confuse matters, someone mentioned a "swaptop grinder", which has a top section which can be changed to a cutter and various other things.  Well, I have a Glastar Grinder, which I use and love, so will try not to get distracted further..............

Zeldazog

Quote from: jackiesimmonds on December 17, 2014, 11:52:04 AM
Hmmm....getting very wet does not appeal that much... :-\..my glass studio is a room in my house which has carpet (albeit old carpet) but it is not a dedicated studio with a hard floor - sounds like I need a wet room!  I feel sure the students at the glass class I attended for a week, used something of this nature, and that was a small room, we were all on top of each other but nobody seemed to get too wet.   SO wish I could try these both out. 

It could have just been the one at Uni - a well of water, and a spinning wheel, it's bound to end in a bit of mess!  Once it was running, it wasn't too bad to be honest, it was the initial 'kick that did the most of the drenching. 

Quote from: jackiesimmonds on December 17, 2014, 11:52:04 AM
Just to confuse matters, someone mentioned a "swaptop grinder", which has a top section which can be changed to a cutter and various other things.

Rare as hens teeth, certainly in the UK at the moment.   As far as I know, problems with motors.   Yes the swap top has a flat lap option, a grinding disk option and a flip the motor on the side to use the trim saw option (I forgot that existed and not that long ago bought a wet tile saw from Aldi, mind you that was probably less than the trim saw swap top fitment!)

jackiesimmonds

I thought I might like the Inland DB100 band saw.........but then I read this review:

I have one of those, sitting in a corner, in pieces, with a good blade. Never did like it. Its too lightweight, hard to keep the blade on track, just too flimsy for me. A band saw has to many "cons" when it comes to glass working, in my opinion. when compared to a ring saw. I have owned 4 band saws for glass, and three for wood and metal. If you have nothing else, its better than nothing, but if you have had a ring saw, you would not go back to a band saw.

The principal of the band saw, is the same as any band saw. You have to keep the line of cut, almost perfectly in line with the blade. Its not a very "forgiving" tool, if you start to feed off line, to compensate for a cut starting to veer off. You can not twist the blade, no more than you can with a metal band saw. It will break or kink. The ring saw? You can cut any way you want to, front way, side ways, whatever.

I may take the DB100 I have and make a lamp out of it

:D
Unless anyone has anything further to say.........
I think I may just get the little Amazon diamond trim machine for fifty squids and see how I get on ...at least it won't break the bank....and I can sell it and move up to the Taurus if I feel I need it.

silkworm

I just got the diamond wheel tile cutter from Warm Glass, taking advantage of their 12 days reduction, am really looking forward to being able to do pattern bar projects.
Mary

jackiesimmonds

please let me know what you will be selling them for, if you want to sell them together or separately, and whether the cutter machine has a diamond blade for glass?   I can be best reached at jackiesdesk at gmail.  thanks