Evenheat E360 kiln vs Paragon SC2

Started by Carrie-Jane, December 16, 2007, 05:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carrie-Jane

Hi all,
Looking at getting a kiln in the new year,
I was 99% sure I was going to get the Paragon SC2 kiln, however in the latest Bead and Beyond p67 is the Evenheat E360 kiln. It is available with window and bead door for £650. Just to confuse me more!

http://www.pmc.vpam.co.uk/products.asp?productrangeid=6#

I was looking at the Bluebird for size and width of fitting in mandrels but you guys have kindly posted photos on this site of your SC2's using the kebab method, so I see you can get loads in an SC2.

The outside and inside dimensions of the SC2 and E360 are almost identical so no benefit either way there.
Price wise the E360 with window and bead door is £650 (annoyingly the same amount in dollars from US sites!!) and the SC2 with bead door is about £549. So about £100 cheaper.

I am thinking if I get the SC2 more people have these and I can shout for help!

Not sure of any other differences between them? pros and cons?
Also has anyone ordered from the states? I know I would have to factor in shipping, duty and VAT.

I am in no hurry, but I hate it when your mind is made up and something new comes along!

Carrie.

Shirley

I'm no expert, but isn't there something about making sure that the electrical specs are up to the standards required for the UK market? I don't know exactly what the regs are, but it would be something to check out. :)
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

glassworks

reading the specs i think the evenheat IS converted to uk specs which is why it is "special order from the states".. seems a really good kiln, and i would love to hear from someone who has one too?..

8)

CelticGlass

I have an Even Heat from before they were taken over from Brenofen. Diana East also has one already. Nice kilns that dont go wrong.

I also have the Paragon F240 for big jobs and already on way from Wale Apparatus is the F130 on this page. Service is great from Wale. Maybe because I'm Welsh ha ha ha ..  ::)

http://www.waleapparatus.com/walestore/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=7

Personally I do not like bead doors and for these reasons..... Firstly if the mandrel sticks out this means air must be convecting into the kiln and the door is never really closed. This small convection draft can cause uneven annealing from one side of the kiln or item to the other..bad news if the glass is stressed. Also this means the kiln will cycle on and off more to maintain the temperature... as I said there's a draft getting in.

A kiln that you can place the entire mandrel in is far and away better. I pop a thermal glove on and open the door for 2 to 3 seconds to place it carefully and with no fear of it touching another bead through a bead door letter box like thingy doo dar. Aaaaargggghhhhh I hate those things....

This is just my opinion and thats all.... Roger  Wilco over and out...  :-X

glassworks

excellent!!!.. that's why we make short mandrels too - so they fit all the way inside!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

how about some pics of your new space!

CelticGlass

Fired up yesterday for the first time on all five torches. Been playing it down a bit as there's some one else just launching a new studio.

Will have a launch myself in February, as it suits the Model House event series for members to be there etc. But yes some pictures will follow now you mention it.

glassworks

sorry for the mini hijack carrie - but it seems that the two kilns are both highly recommended regardless!!!..  8) ;D

Carrie-Jane

Ray - I understand what you are saying about the bead door.
       dying to see photos of your new space when your ready, especially your fabulous glass rod warmer! My family own an engineering company and I keep meaning get the chaps to make me something up.

Q- I had my eye on your Bluebird XL but so many people have the SC2 I was put off a bit.?

I have found out with much surfing that the E360 is known as the "Sierra" and goes up to 2000F same as the SC2.
http://www.delphiglass.com/index.cfm?page=itemView&itemSYSid=194244
The bead door looks a bit wider to me.

Not in any hurry to get a kiln, so will see what info appears about the Evenheat one in the next few weeks.

Carrie.

CelticGlass

This is my Brenofen Sierra...now known as the Even heat kiln.

Inside dim are 12 inches wide 12 inches deep and 8 inches tall in the fire chamber. This one does 1300c at a push.

But you only need 900c tops unless your using Pyrex to slump or fuse at 1000 +

This is a fab kiln as it is so versatile. I've done 1000's of annealing jobs. Many many fusing jobs with just fibre paper on the floor.
small castings also using ceramic moulds.

The floor has a removeable grid with 1000's of holes for your mandrels to stand in but leaning over slightly. I would say its possible to get 150 beaded mandrels in at a session.

Carrie-Jane

Thanks for the photo Ray.
I see you have the burneze next to it just in case.!
Carrie.

CelticGlass

Quote from: Carrie-Jane on December 16, 2007, 09:27:38 PM
Thanks for the photo Ray.
I see you have the burneze next to it just in case.!

I graduated with some hideous burns 6 years ago and thought that pressing a burn on the cold steel of the oxy bottle would be enough to cool it "NOT"

Now I have to keep it handy for students who like to play with fire...  and for me because I usually have small mishaps during teaching as I get over zealous with my demo antics....

Carrie-Jane

QuoteI graduated with some hideous burns 6 years ago and thought that pressing a burn on the cold steel of the oxy bottle would be enough to cool it "NOT

Ouch!!

I have little bottles of lavender essential oil around the place, great for burns and any other ailment too.
  :)
Carrie.

misspixie

I've just got the E360 - haven't had time to fire it up yet (sob), but will definately be doing so this week! Nothing to compare it with, but where it was bought from (PMC Studio), had them set up in their workshop to play with, and I had a quick fiddle with one there... All seemed nice!! ;)

Carrie-Jane

oooh brilliant,
would love to hear how you get on setting it all up and programming it etc..

Good luck!
;D
Carrie.