How to photograph your beads (Wiki Link)

Started by Dickie, December 02, 2008, 11:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dickie

Dickie-Oh yes! Follow me on Twitter @DickieDooda

Diane

Thanks Dickie for this useful information.  I hope to be putting some of it into practice tomorrow - for now going to have a look at my camera manual :)

Diane x

Funky Cow

Cathryn xxx     

My Etsy: http://funkycow.etsy.com

Im a glassy babe

Im a glassy babe

Just been checking my camera, and have a quick question.

I've got a Kodak V1003, which is 10mp which I think should be ok for these kind of pictures.  I can find the exposure compensation, and it's fine, I can adjust to 2 stops as suggested.  Just a bit confused as to the white balance.

My manual states the following, and I'm not too sure which I should use. Looks like it doesn't have a manual feature.

White Balance

Choose your lighting condition.

Available in Auto and SCN-Custom mode.

Auto (default) - automatically corrects white balance. Ideal for general picture taking.

Daylight - for pictures in natural lighting.

Tungsten - corrects the orange cast of household light bulbs. Ideal for indoor pictures under tungsten or halogen lighting without flash.

Fluorescent - corrects the green cast of fluorescent lighting. Ideal for indoor pictures under fluorescent lighting without flash.

Open Shade - for pictures in shade in natural lighting.

Any help, much appreciated.

Thanks  ;D

Dickie

Yeah.. I've just had a look through the manual for your camera, and you are right, there is no manual white balance mode.
What you MUST do though is set the white balance to match the lighting conditions. Although auto is OK. it often gets things wrong, but if you are taking pictures with tungsten lights then set to tungsten. etc.

I will make this point in the Wiki...

Dickie

I have updated the Wiki....

Actually I've updated it quite a lot... couldn't help myself. ;)

julieHB

Thanks for all your work, Dickie! Have read through it several times, and found it very useful. Although I'm fairly familiar with Photoshop I'd like my photography to enter the stage that I need to do little more than cropping and sizing when I come to post-processing. A grey card has been added to my xmas list - I was never quite sure how to use that, but thanks to you I now do ;D
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Im a glassy babe

Thanks Dickie,

Very helpful, will have a go this weekend.  ;D , and I'll go and have a re-read of the bits you've changed.  :)

mazmeabead

Hi Dickie,

Very informative Wiki thanks so much for that - I know i will refer to it a lot in the future I'm sure...

At present the best camera in our house is the 5 mega pixel camera on my Samsung Tocco Phone...

I am hoping to be able to get good enough pictures to start listing with that as I cant afford to spend much on more at present.

I seriously need to save up - for quite a few things... Including Flame-Off, Minor Torch, Oxycon... the list could go on and on...

Maz

Maz x

sublimekate

Dickie,

Can I just say a HUGE thank you for this link.

Got my Nikon D60 yesterday, been farting around all morning after frying my brain with the manual last night, and all I've had is poo, followed your white balance instructions to set manual mode and TA DA.............

How easy was that....cool. 8)

Thanks again. K xx

Dickie