Main Menu

Advice on CIM Ghee

Started by Irene, November 10, 2014, 08:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irene

I recently bought some CIM Ghee glass because I really liked how it looked on the CIM pages, but I have problems keeping it yellow. It turns out brown. Only time I managed to have some yellow left in a bead was when I didn't work it at all, just wound it on the mandrel and in to the kiln. But I rarely make beads that way.  Anyone have good advice on how to keep the yellow in Ghee?

Shirley

Sorry, I don't. I've not used it much but when I have it has always gone brown. The longer it is worked the browner it gets.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

lampworklover

I have kept it yellow, I think from memory I just didn't get it too hot... It definitely goes brown if you work it for a long time.

Raku frit and ghee work beautifully together.

BeeBeads

I also keep it yellow.  I work it at the end of the flame away from the torch.
I don't use it much but I seem to remember that the colour comes in slowly
as long as you don't overheat it.
I like Ghee, it seems to go with a lot of other colours.

Irene

I'll try to work it far out in the flame. Experiment With the amount of oxygen, and how cool I let it get before I put it in the flame. This one is tricky! I do know that I tend to work a bit hot so I'll cool Down a bit...

Irene

Thanks for Your advise!  I posted while you posted, Bee! I really want it to be yellow, it will be my Project to make it work.

Skyblue

This is one of my favorite colours ! It just has a gorgeous buttery-ness to it and looks lovely encased in clear.

Irene

Yes it looks so good if you get it to keep the yellow, my butter gets burnt! Please tell how you work it to keep the colour in it, Skyblue

Trudi

I love the colour of this in the rod but it's such a PITA to work and try and keep the colour .. shame x

Skyblue

I also work it at the top of the flame furthest from the torch, but when its encased it does get a lovely mix of shades come through. I will find a set of beads ive made and post a picture for you.

Irene

I'd like to see Your beads, Skyblue.  I have managed to make a couple of beads that is yellow, so thats good, but the colour is not exactly the way I want it, it's a bit mustardy, in tone.

FireFaerie

One of my favourite colours, check your gas mix it likes to be kept cool.

This colour loves reacting with others, I've even had it turn purple with some frit, and green on ivory.
Really excited with all my new equipment, just trying not to burn myself.