Cremation beads

Started by Ilona, October 18, 2014, 02:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicknack

After my mother died, my brother, myself, my husband and our daughter took her ashes out and scattered a handful each, in turn, in the middle of each field of the farm she had loved and worked for 50 odd years.  We thought of her as we did so, and it was moving and peaceful.  I know she would have loved it.  I think there are still a few ashes left; I might see if my brother will let me have a small amount to put in a bead or two.

Nick

paintboxcrafts

We are currently organising to inter my Dad's ashes in our local church yard under a memorial stone. They put the ashes in a little casket, but I have asked for a small amount to be held back with a view to making a memorial bead for my Mum. It might take me a bit of time to pick up courage though, and I'm not sure what to do with the bit I have left over. I don't really want to file them alongside my frit collection!
www.paintboxcrafts.co.uk  www.paintboxcrafts.etsy.com

Lotti

My sister's ashes lie off 'The Rumps' near Polzeath.  On a clear day we can see all the way down the coast here to the Rumps and sometimes Trevose Head.  I know she is ever near me when I can see her resting place from so far!

I have a feeling I saw something in the news recently (on the web) about a crem up near Barnstaple that is now offering an 'ashes incased in glass' service, can't remember who was providing the service, don't think it was lampwork, think it was blowing.  Might see if I can find the link.

Lotti

Found it!  Shame the firm doing it is in Essex, could have found someone a bit more local to do it (nothing against Essex used to live just across the border ;) ). :)

http://www.northdevonjournal.co.uk/North-Devon-crematorium-turn-cremated-ashes/story-23084478-detail/story.html

Jellybean

Oh yeah, Essex is near Barnstaple! I think your mind works randomly like mine  :D

Oddly I think my grandfather's ashes are off Polzeath too.... the other one thrown over the edge of a cliff near Logan's Rock. He used to walk there a lot. I was walking with a friend one day near Church Cove, Gunwalloe, and had to advise my friend not to sit on the wall as it wasn't sand on the top... I think those ashes were intended for the beach below and they missed  ;D

Lotti

It's a fabulous spot!  If I can have mine chucked off Hartland Point we can swim to meet each other and be mermaids together (I shouldn't do this makes me cry!).

I think the bead, paperweight idea is lovely, just had a look at your website Sal, have to confess though I would feel a bit squimish about handling someone elses beloved (I was a nurse and have had to lay people out, but somehow handling the ashes I think would feel weird to me), I guess you get used to it and knowing the pleasure you will give someone through your work and care is the main thing.

Jellybean

Not sure I could either Lotti, nor be a nurse  :D

Pat from Canvey

My DH's ashes are in a picture casket on his bedside table. The 9 pictures, chosen by me, are of him at various stages of his life with a background picture, taken by me from a helicopter, of sky and the Franz Joseph Glacier when we were in New Zealand. I didn't want to scatter the ashes.

Lotti

Quote from: Pat from Canvey on October 24, 2014, 06:31:13 PM
My DH's ashes are in a picture casket on his bedside table. The 9 pictures, chosen by me, are of him at various stages of his life with a background picture, taken by me from a helicopter, of sky and the Franz Joseph Glacier when we were in New Zealand. I didn't want to scatter the ashes.

Sounds wonderful :)  My Dad has left me a bust of him made by a greatful patient, I really don't want it though, can't bear the thought of him looking down at me over his half rimmed spectacles for the rest of my life.  Was going to give it to his professional college (they wanted it), but turns out one of my nephews wants it so he can have Grandpa staring at him for ever instead!  Wish there had been this glass thing when my beloved sister died, she loved glass and it would be lovely to have a paperweight with 'her' in it to hold!

Redhotsal

Quote from: Lotti on October 24, 2014, 01:26:11 PM
It's a fabulous spot!  If I can have mine chucked off Hartland Point we can swim to meet each other and be mermaids together (I shouldn't do this makes me cry!).

I think the bead, paperweight idea is lovely, just had a look at your website Sal, have to confess though I would feel a bit squimish about handling someone elses beloved (I was a nurse and have had to lay people out, but somehow handling the ashes I think would feel weird to me), I guess you get used to it and knowing the pleasure you will give someone through your work and care is the main thing.

Actually, I don't mind handling the ashes at all. I'm not very squeamish - I'd probably have made a good pathologist if I was clever enough in a previous life. It is a bit odd at first, knowing that you are physically dealing with someone's mortal remains, but actually it's quite a nice feeling - you hope that you're going to create something that the family will want to have and cherish. I try to treat them all as if they were someone from my family. Respect is the most important aspect of it. It's also the trickiest part to get right - especially by email. It's quite hard to pass on your condolences and then immediately start talking about the business of making glass - I always hate that aspect. And there have been some really sad circumstances. Sometimes people just want to talk, so I listen. Usually people get in touch concerning the glass and then you don't hear from them for months before they actually place an order. I'm not a particularly organised person, as many of you know and in normal "bead world" things are chaotic - but for the memorial beads I am ultra organised - charts, lists, the lot!  - it would be unspeakably horrific to mix up any orders! I'm glad it's just a "side business" - I don't think I'd have the emotional stamina to do *just* memorial beads. Still, it is rewarding and it's great to know that what I do is helping someone.

I wish my dad would have left me a bust - that sounds grand. I have a small spoon that my dad made using all the different woods he used to like to use on his longbows. It hangs in my shed. :)

I've recently made a small paperweight which I'm really pleased with. The brief was "wild flowers and forget-me-nots". This is how it turned out:
pw10 by redhotsalbeads, on Flickr

Jellybean

Lyn G

That's really beautiful, Sally......there's such a lot going on in there!  :)  How tall was it?

Pat from Canvey

I love the paperweight. I can imagine the wind swirling the flowers around.

Redhotsal

The photo is quite a lot bigger than real life -  think it ended up at around 45mm high. Thanks for the lovely comments! :)

Moira HFG