Frit-Happens !
December 11, 2019, 04:51:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
your ad here
News:
Where are you?? Add yourself to the NEW FHF map here  | On flickr? Join our Frit Happens group: here

VISIT THE WIKI HERE
Get FH Status updates via twitter @FritHappens

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting rid of the mucky dark blue  (Read 3161 times)
anditsinthefish
Forum Member

« on: September 16, 2014, 02:36:27 PM »

I'm not sure if anyone has seen this or its been posted before. I had pretty much given up on most of my opaque blues because they always end up all scummy and dark, but I was on pintrest and found this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36hvozXzeTM&feature=share

I have yet to give it a go but it defiantly seems worth a try Smiley

Sarah xx
Website. Blog. Flickr.
lampworklover
yes, I managed to change my pic, only took 3 years
Forum Member

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 03:32:37 PM »

It works on turquoise, and also those opaque purples that get silvery grot too! If you haven't got cola, Cillit bang / Tesco bathroom cleaner works too; I tried that last week and it worked well, just make sure it's a limescale removal type thing.

cbeadies
Forum Member

Glass Rainbow Lampwork

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 03:54:36 PM »

I had pretty much given up on most of my opaque blues because they always end up all scummy and dark

I've been reluctantly avoiding the turquiose blues too, although I do love the colour.

What puzzles me is that some people seem to make gorgeous turquoise beads and use this colour very effectively...is there some trick like altering the flame to prevent the grey effect?  Or is everyone using the cola / loo cleaner ??  Huh

Smiley
fionaess
Global Dominator
Forum Member

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 04:33:04 PM »

If your turquoise is going grey then your torch is too reducing.  Try turning down the propane and working further back in the flame.  If your trans blues are murky it sounds though you are working them too hot and burning them

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !
DementedMagpie
Forum Member

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 06:15:34 PM »

So is the principle basically "soak it in acid"? Because I seem to recall limescale remover doing the trick, too.
(And remember to check that none of the beads you're doing that too have shiny surface reduction effects which you want to be there).

Shirley
Forum Member

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 03:01:34 AM »

It isn't necessarily the torch. My kiln seems to have a reducing atmosphere.

Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 
Blue Box Studio
Blue sky thinking & a load of hot air
Forum Member

Just give me the coffee and no one gets hurt!

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 06:34:08 AM »

Makes you wonder what's in cola! I don't drink it because I don't like the feeling it leaves on my teeth.   I use Cillit Bang Grime & Lime on the rare occasions I use turquoise and this happens.

JanieD
Forum Member

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 06:46:36 AM »

Makes you wonder what's in cola! I don't drink it because I don't like the feeling it leaves on my teeth.   I use Cillit Bang Grime & Lime on the rare occasions I use turquoise and this happens.

Cola contains phosphoric acid. Good for cleaning metal!

Jane

anditsinthefish
Forum Member

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 11:24:34 AM »

If your turquoise is going grey then your torch is too reducing.  Try turning down the propane and working further back in the flame.  If your trans blues are murky it sounds though you are working them too hot and burning them

I've tried everything and they still turn out yucky! Good to know, maybe my heat skills aren't that good!!

Sarah xx
Website. Blog. Flickr.
helbels
Proudly achieving mediocrity since Sept 2009.
Forum Member

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 11:27:21 AM »

If you very quickly dunk in Dip N Etch (literally in and straight out!) then rinse, that works too x

Blue Box Studio
Blue sky thinking & a load of hot air
Forum Member

Just give me the coffee and no one gets hurt!

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 07:26:09 PM »

Cola contains phosphoric acid. Good for cleaning metal!

Jane

Well, at least my fillings will be shiny then?!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: