Can you.......

Started by Opalshards, September 05, 2014, 06:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opalshards

Having done Oil and Acrylic painting in the past I just wondered if I could use either in my fused glass. As supplies of art glass paint ect are; expensive.
And what is glyserine used for??

Steampunkglass

I know some people use oil paints which are rubbed onto sand-blasted glass (normally used with borosilicate glass) to colour them, but then needs ages to dry.

Zeldazog

Quote from: Opalshards on September 05, 2014, 06:31:43 PM
Having done Oil and Acrylic painting in the past I just wondered if I could use either in my fused glass. As supplies of art glass paint ect are; expensive.
And what is glyserine used for??

Could be used as Glenn suggests, but I can't imagine you could fire them as they would simply burn off.  And if used as an inclusion, I would *expect* a big dirty bubble as the paint turns to some sort of gassy substance - assuming that is what it would do at 800 degrees centigrade - never tried it to be honest, no idea what would happen.  I'd bet there was some fumes though, you'd probably want to vent your kiln and keep the windows open if you're in the same room as the kiln....

Glassline pens and most enamels are around £5 or £6 per pot.  But they go a long, long way.  They usually contain a high concentration of pigment.  Enamel is a form of glass too.

Most things that aren't made of glass or ceramic glaze type materials (some of which also contain glass) won't stand up to firing to high temperatures of fusing. 

I hadn't heard of glycerine in glass use, I assumed it would be used a mixing medium - I've used gum arabic for a carrier of enamel powders.  So I just looked it up, and found it in the paints and stains section on Creative Glass Guild, so I am guessing it's used in that - but you're talking traditional stained glass techniques there, where they use silver stain. 

marklaird

I think the only approach here would be to experiment. Make up some 5cm square test pieces, do some with differing amounts of oil and acrylic between layers, and some on the top and then fire them. Maybe even fire half to a tack fuse and half to a full fuse.
I suspect as Dawn and Glenn said, that you are going to find the paints burning off at the fusing temperatures, but you might find that you get a usable effect, or, they might fire into the glass.
After all, the paints will be made with pigments, and these may react with the glass, especially ones like French Vanilla and Turquoise.
Of course, you may also just get a large air bubble and a grey smudge, but I think this is going to be a try it and see.
And of course, take lots of notes and photos and post them here afterwards.
Have fun
Mark

Pat from Canvey

I've seen mention of using oil based paint pens to make a pattern on glass but they don't retain their colour and black apparently disappears completely. Have a look at http://glasswithapast.com/oil-paint-pens-glass-fusing/    It's full of interesting techiques for bottle and window glass.

silkworm

I use glycerine to make frit stay where I want it.
Mary

Opalshards

Thank you for your help.  :)