Main Menu

Free formed tubes

Started by anditsinthefish, August 22, 2014, 12:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anditsinthefish

I have been approach by a fellow jeweller and originally was asked to create a number of small coloured cubes. Since I was first approached the designs have changed and I have now been asked to create some tubes (approx 7cm x 1.5cm). I have spoken to her and she ideally would like them off mandrel.

I gave one a quick go yesterday but I struggled with the size, I got up to about 5cm and it cracked (I have nortel minor and a single oxy con).

I have seen a graphite beadroller http://www.perlenpresse.de/epages/63000406.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/63000406/Products/b36g which I could look at getting custom made, but would 7cm just be too much to handle?

and I guess my other question is, is this really possible? With a hole in the middle I can see it working or maybe with a hole half way through but with no hole...?

Sarah xx
Website. Blog. Flickr.

Shirley

Do you mean a cylinder?

Sounds like boro would be a better bet than 104. Perhaps try making a really big gather and pulling it out like a very thick stringer.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

anditsinthefish

Quote from: Shirley on August 22, 2014, 01:39:38 PM
Do you mean a cylinder?

Sounds like boro would be a better bet than 104. Perhaps try making a really big gather and pulling it out like a very thick stringer.

Yeah a cylinder... oooo ok, will I have enough heat for boro?
Sarah xx
Website. Blog. Flickr.

Pat from Canvey

Heather, (Kaloro) sells Lauscha tubes which are 104. See http://lauscha.heatherkellyglass.co.uk/catalog/tubes
I think the largest is slightly smaller than 1.5cm but they can be cut to whatever length you require and the ends then carefully flame polished or sanded smooth.

anditsinthefish

Quote from: Pat from Canvey on August 22, 2014, 06:09:13 PM
Heather, (Kaloro) sells Lauscha tubes which are 104. See http://lauscha.heatherkellyglass.co.uk/catalog/tubes
I think the largest is slightly smaller than 1.5cm but they can be cut to whatever length you require and the ends then carefully flame polished or sanded smooth.

Thanks for thatPpat :) The tubes are solid, so I guess like Shirley said I'm looking to make cylinders.
Sarah xx
Website. Blog. Flickr.

JanieD

Interested to know what they would be used for - sound as if they could be heavy for jewellery.

Jane

Pat from Canvey

Quote from: anditsinthefish on August 23, 2014, 08:31:13 AM
The tubes are solid, so I guess like Shirley said I'm looking to make cylinders.

The tubes I bought from Heather are definately not solid. I use some for blowing baubles. I also get tubes from the ends of a vitrigraph pull when the pot is starting to empty. The green is 36cm and the blue 41cm. I've stuck a 1mm copper wire through the blue one to show that it's hollow. The walls on these tubes can vary from about 1mm to paper thin. Quick photo on my computer chair,
The blue 41cm tube, with the copper wire, weighs 18 grams.

Kalorlo

Is 7cm the diameter she wants or the length? If it was length, you could just get 15mm dia boro rod and cut it into 7cm pieces. For 7cm diameter I am wondering if some sort of casting or fusing would work better? (Though may be thick for fusing, I don't really know).

Kaz

Sounds like the commission from hell to me....lots of time and effort for minimal reward. I just hate it when other people try to involve me in their ideas. I'd much rather make what I make and if it sells it sells. Time is money and for something like this you can never factor in the thinking time, research, many failed attempts, buying additional tools, glass etc. However, I guess if you like a technical challenge, then it might be right up your street!!!
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Pat from Canvey

anditsinthefish

Thank you everyone, I think you have a pint Kaz, it may be one to pass on.
Sarah xx
Website. Blog. Flickr.

Les

Sounds like a headache to me !

james M knox

Quote from: anditsinthefish on August 26, 2014, 12:59:58 PM

a pint?

If not then def. deserves one  ;D

jmknox

anditsinthefish

Quote from: james M knox on August 27, 2014, 01:33:43 PM
Quote from: anditsinthefish on August 26, 2014, 12:59:58 PM

a pint?

If not then def. deserves one  ;D

jmknox

oh dear! clearly thinking about these forms melted my brain!
Sarah xx
Website. Blog. Flickr.