Making fused cabs for cufflinks

Started by Kaz, August 21, 2014, 11:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaz

Hi guys
I'd like to make some cufflinks - some for the guys at work for Christmas and maybe some to sell. I can't find any tutorials or instructions on t'interweb and wondered if anyone could help. I was thinking maybe cutting squares approx 18mm stacked 2 thick (3mm each) plus a slightly smaller piece of iridescent glass on the top. Would this work do you think?
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

SilverGems89

Give it a go  ;D i'm not sure if the cabs will be completely round starting with 18mm squares, but worth trying! And you'll get better shaped cabs if you stack your square pieces opposite to each other, so don't line the corners up  ;)

marklaird

Hi Kaz,

I would probably start smaller. Most blokes don't want cufflinks that are too big or too heavy.

The next time you are putting the kiln on for a full fuse put some in to trial. Make a note of the initial sizes and stack depth, and then you can compare the result and adjust accordingly.

If I'm doing a full fuse, and have space I quite often put small pieces of glass in to create cabochons.

You could also just do one layer of 3mm and one of 3mm dichro, that will work too and they won't be as heavy.

Mark

Nicknack

I agree with Mark, just play and see what suits you.  If you haven't got any dichro, and would like to try it, I could let you have some small bits to experiment with.

Nick

Kaz

I know this may be anathema to fusers, but I can't stand dichro ;-)
Thanks for the advice - most welcome!
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Zeldazog

Quote from: Kaz on August 22, 2014, 11:31:15 PM
I know this may be anathema to fusers, but I can't stand dichro ;-)
Thanks for the advice - most welcome!
Kazx

With you there Kaz!  Occasionally I might use a bit, but not much.....  gimme irid any day....

Flyingcheesetoastie

Down with Dichro! My cufflinks are printed with enamels and measure 20 x 15 x 3mm so fire polish only rather than full fuse.

Pam

Have you got a grinder? It does help if you are stacking.
Glass has it's own memory for thickness so slow is best, if left too long or too hot it flows, if too thin it will ball up, I fuse just past the tack stage , grind then polish fire. Worked for me.