Frit-Happens !
July 17, 2019, 09:20:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
your ad here
News:
Where are you?? Add yourself to the NEW FHF map here  | On flickr? Join our Frit Happens group: here

VISIT THE WIKI HERE
Get FH Status updates via twitter @FritHappens

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Val Cox Frit
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Double helix discolouring base glass on hot head  (Read 2134 times)
bucksbeadie
New Forum Member

« on: July 20, 2014, 01:30:54 PM »

I have been playing with double helix on my hot head. No problem reducing the glass, but I have tried doing dots on clear and white and the clear and white are discolouring even before I reduce. The effect isn't bad, the white goes to ivory and the clear takes on a hint of the colour of the double helix, but it's not what I am tring to achieve.

Is this inevitable on a hot head or am I doing something wrong? Any advice welcome
helbels
Proudly achieving mediocrity since Sept 2009.
Forum Member

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 01:35:36 PM »

Silver glass will often fume white and pink to ivory tones, even before reducing, but on a Hothead, because the flame is always slightly reducing, there's a much higher risk of it.  If you want to avoid it, you will need to encase the white first, but even then sometimes the clear will take on a slightly amber tone.

bucksbeadie
New Forum Member

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 01:59:12 PM »

Thanks it's really helpful to know why this happens. Will try the encasing method. not unhappy with the result, but if this is likely on a hot head might just need to adjust my design ideas to accommodate it
Arwynd
New Forum Member

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 02:09:38 PM »

Use a non-reactive clear like Zephyr to encase if you want to avoid the yellow Smiley
bucksbeadie
New Forum Member

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 04:53:02 PM »

I'm due a treat from tufnells so will add that to my list thanks
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: