Where to buy jumprings for chain maille

Started by Irene, July 12, 2014, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irene

I would like to try to make a necklace of Chain maille, perhaps With plated silver at first for practise, then I Guess sterling silver would be my choice. Anyone recommend a Place to buy?

mizgeorge

There are lots of places selling plated rings in packets. Though copper is really a better bet as plating tends to chip and crack.

For sterling, drop me a line - I cut any size of ring to order. They'll be up on the website eventually, but I'm still in the process of taking all the pictures!

Pat from Canvey

Have a look at http://www.beadsisters.co.uk/ Lots of pretty coloured rings and kits but don't opt for the stainless steel until you've done more maille. The steel is very strong and takes a bit of strength to work.

SilverGems89

George's rings are fantastic when you are ready to move on to sterling!

Irene

Thank you!  The Beadsisters looks to be a good Place to have some jumprings cheap to practise With. So what kind would you recommend? I don't like plain copper very much, if I was to use copper it would have to be With patina. Perhaps the aluminium would be good? or brass? 

As I am New to this I would like to try the byzantine maille and some of the others that are not too complicated, for necklace and bracelet and to be mixed With beads. But what size should the rings have? What would be best for a beginner and still be Nice looking?  Gauge and diameter mm. 

If this turns out to be something I like doing, I will absolutely contact you George for sterling rings!

mizgeorge

Aluminium's not a bad place to start if you don't want to use copper (though copper can easily be oxidised with liver of sulphur). The only downside is that the finished pieces are very lightweight so don't hang as well.

You can go a long way with just a couple of sizes - 1mm/3.5mm id and 1mm/6mm id. These two sizes will let you make a huge range of weaves, some needing a combination of the two sizes. If you want to expand to some persian and more then 1mm/5mm is also useful.

Irene

Thank you Mizgeorge, this is very helpful. Just to be sure: this is 1mm thick wire/3,5 mm inner diameter ?

mizgeorge

Quote from: Irene on July 13, 2014, 08:32:28 PM
Thank you Mizgeorge, this is very helpful. Just to be sure: this is 1mm thick wire/3,5 mm inner diameter ?

Exactly :)

Pat from Canvey

Irene