Stiff oxygen knob on Nortel Minor

Started by Blue Box Studio, October 29, 2014, 03:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Box Studio

A new one on me, the oxygen knob on my Minor has got stiff, as if there is gunk in the thread that needs cleaning out.  I've undone it as far as it will go and cleaned with with a lint free cloth but still stiff.  My usual go-to is WD40 but not sure about using that on a torch.

Anyone any suggestions?  If I can't fix things with velcro, WH40 and blu tac then I get stumped!

Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Moira HFG

No! Never use oil or grease in an oxygen line. I wonder if it's got cross-threaded somehow?
I'd take it to an engineering type bod to look at.

Blue Box Studio

Haven't any suitable engineering people around here and don't think it is cross threaded as it still works and isn't that stiff to be like a crossed thread.  I think it's just gunk from 3 years of general usage.  I'd rather not have to disassemble the torch (it's not leaking) as I don't have the ability to do this/reconnect and don't want to lug all the hoses and regulator around with me.  From experience with other things, even if I went into Bristol and could find anyone who would look at this (and I wouldn't know where to start in the phone book), they'd be likely to squirt it with something!
Sue

Moira HFG

Can you see any gunk when you unscrew it?

Moira HFG

If it's dust or grit in there, soapy water and cotton buds might shift it?

Blue Box Studio

Nope no gunk.  but I've just been down to my studio to check and it seems a bit freer, so perhaps I am just getting limp wristed in my old age.  Or you have telepathic super powers.  I'll see how it goes over the next few days.  Otherwise I'll try soapy water and a cotton bud, but was worried they might leave fluff?  Have already tacked with a small brush.  Thanks :)
Sue

the lady with the lamp

What about using a small brush,old tooth brush or a small wire or nylon brush that might do it,Parin.