Sterling or base metal?

Started by Enchanted Cobwebs, June 29, 2014, 07:47:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quirky Bird

Quoteif price really is an issue, there are plenty of good honest base metals that are cheaper - and for a silver look, stainless steel is a good option - there are more and more things available in steel at very reasonable prices.

I agree entirely George - this is the route I'm now going down. It looks good, tends to be better made than a lot of the plated findings out there, and has a better reputation amongst customers re. allergies.

QuoteAlways research your nearest 'Elizabeth Duke at Argos' - these customers have clearly lost their way and took a wrong turning into a craft fair, mistaking it for ED@A.

:D :D :D
Either there or 'Primani'!
A clean house is the sign of a broken oxycon.

Yeske

Quote from: Enchanted Cobwebs on June 29, 2014, 07:47:01 AM
I keep having a battle with myself on whether to only use sterling or not and decided on just sterling and to banish all forms of plated and lesser metals from my work room (not sold them this time though!)

Been doing some small fairs and markets and most other jewellery makers seem just to use plated although most of the better items have sterling ear wires. Just a simple pendant style necklace for me will cost about £10 for the spacer beads, beadcaps, clasps, leather crimp ends for one necklace coz I like to see lots of shine. Some customers do seem impressed that its sterling but the majority buy based on the like the item and really dont seem interested in what its made from, this was even true at a recent artist and designers fair.

So, I'm now back to the same dilemma I thought I'd gotten over as price also pays a big part in the buying decision for the majority of people.

What do you use when selling jewellery made from your lampwork beads?

I don't use lampwork beads or anything, but I really like sterling silver. It's very workable and you can oxidize, sand and polish it without removing the top layer as in plated wire. And if you have a torch, you can even make your own headpins by melting balls at the end and such :)

helbels

As a customer I'd only buy sterling silver for earrings and bracelets (I'm allergic, and get dermatitis from plated metals)

However, for some reason, my neck is much more tolerant - so I'd happily buy a silver plated necklace. ;D