Frit-Happens !
December 09, 2019, 02:04:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
your ad here
News:
Where are you?? Add yourself to the NEW FHF map here  | On flickr? Join our Frit Happens group: here

VISIT THE WIKI HERE
Get FH Status updates via twitter @FritHappens

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Smiths Tiny Torch ( Tuffers Post )  (Read 1762 times)
Gordon
Forum Member

« on: June 17, 2014, 10:03:56 AM »

I suppose I'm really aiming this at George Smiley Is the Tiny torch as good as the reviews suggest for silversmithing ?
mizgeorge
Administrator

Or should that be missus?

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 10:14:36 AM »

Depends on what you're doing Gordon. I have two, and still pick up a handheld for pretty much everything. If you're making a lot of pieces needing very precise heat, and especially in gold, the little torch is great. For everyday silver work, especially as a hobby, it may be overkill.

With a casting head, they're great for casting (if that's of interest).

ajda
Forum Member

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 11:41:50 AM »

I don't have as much experience or expertise as George, but I have a Smith Little Torch and I love it for silverworking. (I use Argentium 960 which behaves more like gold or fine silver than sterling - fusing rather than soldering.) If you don't already have the propane/oxygen setup for lampworking I'd have thought the additional costs might be prohibitive... But if you have and can link one of these into your system, brilliant.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: