trying to write a buisness plan HELP!!!!!

Started by qwirkyglass, June 03, 2014, 10:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qwirkyglass

ok, so i am trying to write a business plan to hopefully take the plunge to start making and selling my lampwork and fused work from a shop based location, with the hope of graduating to a larger location where i can put a furnace as well.
however there are some holes in my costings that i am hoping that those of you with shops of your own, or experience of can help me with.
Things like,
how much does it cost to run your lights every day for a month?
how much does your extraction cost to run?
how much does it cost to run a fan whilst torching?
How much does your water cost for all your bead cleaning?
Do you need special flame resistant display stuffs?
i have demoing and teaching and selling and making insurance with IW and AIR insurance with AN, do i need any other?
Did the council make you heat proof your walls and ceilings to use a torch and kilns?
Do you have special measures for using a gas bottle inside?
How much gas do you go through if you torch for 5 days a week 9 - 5?
Do you know roughly how much glass and bead release you go through a month / week?

i probably have a lot more questions to follow as i work on it, but if anyone can help me with these i would really appreciate the help, and any suggestions of things i might have over looked.

I am looking to set up in Cockermouth in Cumbria, so i dont think i will be stepping on anyone's toes up here.
i have found somewhere that seems affordable if i can work it right, and is business rates exempt as it is supported by the council

thanks in advance :)

GaysieMay

Can't really help, but want to wish you luck. X
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/gaysiemay

Nicknack

Quote from: GaysieMay on June 03, 2014, 10:13:50 PM
Can't really help, but want to wish you luck. X

Neither can I, but all the very best of luck, Ann.

Nick

fionaess

Water rates are based on fresh water and sewage and the rateable value of the property.  Electricity costs depend on which company you use and if you are able to negotiate their per unit charges for small businesses.
You will need building insurance unless the landlord includes it in the rent... And so the list goes on. Quite frankly how much bead release you use in the course of a week will be the least of your worries  ;D

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

Hotglass28

Looks like I'm in the same sort of boat as you, but mines with VAT.

My head hurts already  :D
www.facebook.com/pages/The-Owl-Goes-Hoot/567182803365298
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheOwlGoesHoot?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Helen G

Don't know about the individual costs and surprised you need to but my studio costs around £50 a month in electric but like Fionaess said, it will depend on your provider.
No idea about water.
Flame resistant display stuff?? I wouldn't have thought your torch wouldn't be close enough to your displays. My torch sits a regular work top width away from a wooden wall and it's been there for 6 years without any scorch marks, I have got a Midrange too ;)
Buildings and contents insurance, public liability and products liability. If you are employing anyone, employers liability.
Do you mean fire proof rather than heat proof? I guess it depends on the location?
Propane gas bottles should not be stored inside and I'm not sure on the laws with regard to using them inside with Jo public coming in and out.
I use on average a 19kg tank every 6 months.
Glass and bead release together averaged out at around £80 a month last year for me.

Hope that helps a bit and it goes well  :)

The Tartan Trout

Hi

I have a studio that I rent, and the best way to find out what things cost is to note down all meter readings at beg and end of day for a month and work it out from there. Everyones different when cleaning beads ie do you run the tap whilst cleaning beads or do you fill the bowl and do them that way. My building is wooden clad and no one has any issues with it. I have full buildings contents and public liability insurance but you might want to contact your local fire protection company to sort out what extinguishers you need. I bought mine but have an annual contract with the company to service and refill them as necessary.
As for glass and bead release there is no way of anyone helping you with that at all. We all make at different speeds and do different sizes. Surely if you have been lampworking long enough to be going into full time business you will know your own costs on these.

I'm sorry to say but there are formulas for somethings but others you just have to work it out.

You will get there :)

qwirkyglass

Sorry, I'm a little slow at repling, but thanks for you input everyone.
I'm still developing my plan, and trying to find alternatives.
I'll probably be back asking more questions later lol.
Thanks again