Fixing labels to bottles

Started by Purple Cobwebs, May 17, 2014, 08:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple Cobwebs

A good friend has just taken over a pub, and has asked me to make slumped glass tealight holders to put on the tables. That bit is fine, I've done plenty of those. However, she'd also like some with the original label attached. I've soaked the labels off and saved them. What is the best way to afix and seal? They will be put out day in, day out, so I don't want to risk the labels peeling/yellowing.....
Gaynor
Making beads, cards and jewellery to raise funds for Viva and Dr Hadwens Trust!
www.purplecobwebs.co.uk

theflyingbedstead

You could try laminating the label and sticking it on? I've tried pva glue and boat varnish but they aren't dishwasher proof. To be honest the most durable thing would be to copy the label as a decal to be fired onto the bottles. Or a cheaper option would be to get bottles with enamel labels. I've bought old fashioned Glass Coke bottles from Tescos last year and slumped them. The white enamel fades a bit but is still visible. Grey Goose vodka bottles slump beautifully and some beers still have enamel labels.
Charlotte x

Moira HFG

The decal idea sounds brilliant, much classier than a paper label. The pub could also sell them to customers...

Steampunkglass

I'd imagine they're pretty light fast anyway, some outdoor varnishes are fairly resistant to yellowing (check the tins, I think I recall some boasting they won't yellow with age) but I'm not sure how well varnishes will stay stuck to bottles.

I think you may be worrying too much though - as they are nightlight holders they probably won't be put out until late in the day, and then only during the warm summer months so not in really nasty weather. Plus they are more likely to end up with the labels hidden by spilt wax, however careful the staff might be with them I can guarantee the customers probably won't be  ::) which of course leads onto the other main thing my OH noticed when she worked as a barmaid - some of them may well slowly 'vanish' over time  ::) ::) ::)

Purple Cobwebs

Thank you all for the suggestions.
I must admit, I've not been over successful with decals, they always seem to come out a bit muted, but maybe I should revisit them.

I'm sure you're right, and several will disappear into handbags!!!!! As the cost is minimal, I'm doing them as a gift for my friend. She supplies the bottles and I slump over night.

I might experiment with a few with varnish.
x
Gaynor
Making beads, cards and jewellery to raise funds for Viva and Dr Hadwens Trust!
www.purplecobwebs.co.uk