all float is not the same...

Started by chas, May 05, 2014, 05:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chas

Had a disappointing result from a dish project the other day, a sort of devit cloudyness, and while chatting to my supplier learned that he has started stocking Saint Gobain float in preference to Pilkington's for 'cost reasons'.

I went over and collected some Pilk's he had in stock and ran the job again with perfect results.

Previously all we float users had to do was make sure if buying 3mm it was window glass, not horticultural (suppliers see no difference) but now you may find you have to specify Pilkington's in all thicknesses to get good clear results.

If you've used Saint Gobain successfully, I'd be pleased to know if you modified pre-firing process or schedule...

Chas

Zeldazog

Can't say I've ever known brand of glass I've used when it's been float, other then when I've tried the specially coated ones such as K Glass or someone else's called Low E.

Interesting you say make sure it's not horticultural - why is that, Chas?    I have started using it more as one time I needed a large quantity all in one go, preferred 3mm to 4mm for the project I was doing, and it was cheaper when I have to buy it (I used to scrounge a lot of offcuts from my supplier) - and I am getting good results - it's rolled rather than floated on tin, so I don't get any issues with tin cloud bloom.

Flyingcheesetoastie

Have always used Saint Gobain as Solaglas has a depot in Edinburgh, but I don't fuse with it.  Have never asked for window glass specifically either, although have used the lo iron stuff which is lovely without it's green tinge but more expensive.

Zeldazog

Quote from: Flyingcheesetoastie on May 05, 2014, 08:00:38 PM
, although have used the lo iron stuff which is lovely without it's green tinge but more expensive.

Something I keep meaning to try, I've got an off-cut the glass place gave me to try and like the clarity. 

chas

Quote from: Zeldazog on May 05, 2014, 05:53:19 PM
Can't say I've ever known brand of glass I've used when it's been float, other then when I've tried the specially coated ones such as K Glass or someone else's called Low E.

Interesting you say make sure it's not horticultural - why is that, Chas?    I have started using it more as one time I needed a large quantity all in one go, preferred 3mm to 4mm for the project I was doing, and it was cheaper when I have to buy it (I used to scrounge a lot of offcuts from my supplier) - and I am getting good results - it's rolled rather than floated on tin, so I don't get any issues with tin cloud bloom.

Well, that's an interesting one Dawn... I just accepted the received wisdom that  'horticultural' is very prone to devit when we started a few years back, and, faced with all the other potential fusing hazards, chose to exclude it from stock. I'd still worry a bit about it getting mixed with float, but the fact is we can't actually remember trying it, and I think we should! We generally get some 3mm in for students as it's robust enough for projects and just that bit easier to cut than 4 - but more expensive!

Chas

helbels

Randomly, your discussion made me look up Float Glass online (I'm not a fuser).  I found this interesting video on how it's made:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJcHMmkjlA4

Zeldazog

QuoteWe generally get some 3mm in for students as it's robust enough for projects and just that bit easier to cut than 4 - but more expensive!

I'd always used whatever I could scrounge, which of course was often float, which standard thickness for such as double glazing units is 4mm - as you say a little harder for students but ya know, if was free!  Now that it looks like I am going to have to be buying it, I'll be sticking with greenhouse glass - I picked up some pieces of 24" square the other day from my nearest supplier - it was £3 per sheet - I reckon that's got to be cheaper than float!

Oh, and as for de-vit, you probably can't tell from this photograph, but these are some of the said glass, done with a local hospice group, and it has come out absolutely crystal clear - no devit or cloudiness in sight, just a bit of that good old green tinge you get)

Regards mixing it with float, greenhouse and float are pretty much the same formula, just one is rolled and the other is floated, so theoretically *should* work together.  That said, although I've never had an issue, strictly speaking, you should only ever fuse float together with pieces from the same sheet - otherwise they could be a different batch - and therefore a different CoE.  Obviously float and horticultural glass will never be from the same batch as they are made differently.

There is no requirement, technically, for consistency across batches of window glass as it was not designed for fusing, therefore compatibility is not an issue, and is only a surety if from the same production batch, even if you stick with the same manufacturer.

chas

Quote from: Zeldazog on May 06, 2014, 03:22:22 PM

Oh, and as for de-vit, you probably can't tell from this photograph, but these are some of the said glass, done with a local hospice group, and it has come out absolutely crystal clear - no devit or cloudiness in sight, just a bit of that good old green tinge you get)

There is no requirement, technically, for consistency across batches of window glass as it was not designed for fusing, therefore compatibility is not an issue, and is only a surety if from the same production batch, even if you stick with the same manufacturer.

Well, if I wasn't already encouraged to try some, they look good enough to clinch it - and as for the green tinge, we have some specially conserved 6mm 'green' window glass from the old house knocked down here... a challenge to cut but chosen now and again. Now that certainly isn't float.

I asked Pilks once about the CoE of their glass, so as to match it with coloured stuff... they didn't know as they didn't need to...

Chas

Lisa

Hi , how do you detect the tin side of the glass?
I was told the other day that the tin side doesnt squeek when you draw a wet finger over it but the opposite side does...tried it abd doesnt seem to happen....

Jane C ♫

Lisa - you can buy a "tin side detector" which are v expensive, or find a local friend / shop who has one you can borrow. Then mark one side of your sheet so you know which it is :)
Hand Painted Silk and Fused Glass Artist.
Lampwork Beginner!
Website

Pat from Canvey

If you're worried about devit, have a look at http://www.warmglass.com/making_your_own.htm That is, a spray you put on to avoid devit. I'm surprised no ones mentioned it here.

chas

Well, as I haven't got round to trying horticultural 3mm yet (should have done, another class on Friday, could have saved ourselves a bob or two) the dreaded devit doesn't feature Pat - touch wood. That recipe is simple enough though, and a good tip, thank you.

Chas