Main Menu

Bleeding black.

Started by Hotglass28, April 22, 2014, 03:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hotglass28

Just a quick one.  

Because I'm working hotter and faster with 104 now. Could the reason that my blacks are spreading into my whites be because I'm not slowly melting the black down on the whites?

very annoying!

(I'm not using spreading black btw) eff black and reichy black mainly

www.facebook.com/pages/The-Owl-Goes-Hoot/567182803365298
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheOwlGoesHoot?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Dragonfire Glass

You need Reichenbach deep black to stop the spread.
Hades, intense black will web; effetre black is extremely dark transparent purple.

To get round it without deep black, put the white on the black, not the other way round

Hotglass28

Hiya, that's what I've been using and doing. Reichy black, then dot of white. Normally it worked fine until recently and I'm trying to remember if it's due to having more heat power.

I quickly did one after I posted and made a point of very slowly heating up my eyeballs I do and viola, no bleeding and I used effetre black too!

I have a memory like a goldfish so maybe it is due to the extra heat.

Shirley

Even Reichenbach Deep Black will spread if heated. It doesn't break up, though, like most of the others. Sounds like it's a combination of size of dot and heat control.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Dragonfire Glass

Are you using Reichenbach deep black or Reichenbach normal black?

Pat from Canvey

Quote from: Dragonfire Glass on April 22, 2014, 10:41:25 PM
I use the deep black for fine stringer work with lots of heat on larger beads and no spreading.

Dragonfire Glass

Quote from: Pat from Canvey on April 23, 2014, 07:12:15 AM
Quote from: Dragonfire Glass on April 22, 2014, 10:41:25 PM
I use the deep black for fine stringer work with lots of heat on larger beads and no spreading.

Me too Pat. I stays stubbornly unspreaded when I've picked up the wrong stringer  :D

Hotglass28

Well, with all your inquires to what on earth could be wrong, I had a thought. 

I checked the deep black tube (where the deep black is kept)  and low and behold normal Riechy black is mixed up in my expensive deep black. I'm not impressed but at least I've solved the problem.

Coupled with going a little bit too fast melting in the dots, which was my first thought

Looks like I will need to buy more deep black as only 3 rods are marked, I rod is marked just black in bundle of about 30 rods..  grrrrr!

Looks like labeling every single rod with what the important stuff it is.  My current system is to pull and rod out and then label it as I go.

Onwards and upwards!  Thank you for helping me get to my conclusion  ;D

Pat from Canvey

I have similar problems with clear since I use rods in 104, Bullseye and boro. I've started to put little hooks on the ends of the 104 and keep the Bulleye under my table!!!

Hotglass28

Hi Pat, I'm trying sooo hard to keep my main glass to just Reichy, Effetre and Vetro. Slowly reducing the CIM as I've lost faith in them, but Bullseye is the next one. 

I'm dying to spend out on a full set of rods.  Sitting on my hands and the credit card is in the fridge.  lol

Redhotsal

I love Reichenbach Deep Black. It's a proper black and it always behaves well. But, I only use it where I want a black dot over something else - I'd never make a full bead out of it, too expensive. :)