Which wire to use in torch?

Started by French Fuse, April 17, 2014, 02:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

French Fuse

Hi, I have just got a Bellflower press for my birthday - but I am not sure which sort of wire to use that will hold up to being heated in the torch flame?  I have tried a fairly thick copper, which works but is too thick and gets very bendy - and also bronze which just melts.  I want something that is fairly thin but strong - any recommendations please?

tuffnell glass

Hi
Teresa made thousands of beads creations with wires in and used nothing more than simply head pins for earrings, silver plated and £1.00 a bag . Flash them in the flame for second to take the plating off the area you are sticking the glass too and don't heat the glass , simply stick it onto the head pin and the remainder of the wire will stay pretty well silver coloured .

Best wishes
martin
Tuffnell Glass

tuffnellglass@yahoo.co.uk
www.tuffnellglass.com
www.flameoff.co.uk

French Fuse

Thanks Martin - but the wire I'm looking for is one that I can attach the blob of glass to and then heat it in the torch before putting it into the press - so I don't think the head pins would work.

JanieD

I use iron wire for making glass headpins, have also used copper and brass and even sterling. If you don't over heat the wire it's fine.
There are others on here who take this a step further with the Bellflower press, and I'm sure they'll be along to answer, but the basic idea is the same.
All wire when heated gets soft as it gets annealed by the heat of the torch, it just needs a little work-hardening to stiffen again.

Jane

dinah46

I use .8mm copper wire with my bellflower press - the secret is to not overheat it before adding the glass and to keep it out of the direct flame when you are winding the glass on.

ARBeads

I use 0.6mm copper and sterling. The copper anneals in the flame but soon work hardens whilst wrapping. The sterling needs to be pickled once out the kiln.
Ruth & Andy

www.etsy.com/shop/arjewellery for beads!

French Fuse

Thank you - I think I need to look at my technique then so as not to overheat the wire - I've been heating it on the wire rather than heating it at the end of the rod.  Will try again!  You would think that they would include some instructions with it!

ARBeads

If you search Youtube there is a good video on how to use the bellflower press, though I can't remember who it was  :-[

Found  it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRi8J5Z9fhY - LoriBeads  ;D
Ruth & Andy

www.etsy.com/shop/arjewellery for beads!

dinah46