Well what did you think

Started by tuffnell glass, April 17, 2014, 08:36:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bearyboo

I think it was a much better venue than silverstone was last year. The stalls weren't as cramped and it was much more spacious. The location was excellent for me as it was only a couple of hours drive away.

I cannot comment on the food as I did not actually eat there, I got lunch from Tescos round the corner.

I agree with what others have said about the outside advertising. I actually drove past the entrance the first time and ended up at the camp ground but maybe that was just down to ne! :D

I don't know about anyone else but ai was a bit disappointed to see that there wasn't a book stall selling glass books this year.

Other than that, I thought it was excellent

Danielle x

MyPrecious

I loved the whole event! The location was great because I could get from France easily on the train, which goes straight to the racecourse. Also, there is plenty of accommodation close by for anyone on foot.
Kathy

My website

mizgeorge

I can only echo Julie's comments as a trader, both about the event itself and the venue, which I loved! I think the layout could be refined a bit, and it would have been great to have been able to see things on the CC TV system, but it was like coming home after last year, which I have to admit to not having enjoyed very much.

Coming from the southern part of the Cotswolds, it only took about 20 minutes longer (which became a bit more because of the horrible M5 roadworks), but the station obviously made a big difference, and the extra facilities in the town made bringing family along a much more attractive proposition - the ice rink and bowling alley were a huge hit, and I've been warned that Alton Towers is under consideration for the future!

However, I think more could be made of the extra space - couldn't the Sunday bead fair be incorporated into the main Flame Off? Perhaps on the Saturday? Lots of lampworkers would benefit from the extra stalls - we buy other stuff too - and I think those attending a bead fair would also enjoy the whole atmosphere more with so much going on - and might even fancy having a go themselves, especially with beginner taster sessions going on.

I thought there was more than enough space in the first hall to have the extra stands involved, and it would be great not to have to have the extra night away for those of us selling.

Just a thought to throw into the mix!

Octavia

I had a great time on the Friday, the venue was lovely and the fact the train station was so near was a big bonus for me.  I can imagine how infuriating the locked gate would have been on the Saturday.  A little signage for the exact route to and from the trains would have been nice as this was a little convoluted (esp last thing on the Friday when I had a head full of glass!). I didn't try the food (packed lunch).  The demo area was well set out and I really enjoyed the demos.

If the space would allow, I think having the bead fair combined with the main Flame off would be a great idea - I was a day visitor on the Friday, but found it hard to justify making a return trip on the Sunday having bought lots of fabulous things on Friday.  (My bauble has arrived now too - thanks!)

Essex Girl

I like the idea of having the bead fair on at the same time as FO but, I wonder, will people that are used to paying £4 or £5 entry come at FO (fully justified!) prices.
Karen
x

Dragonfire Glass

there is only one entrance to the demos - they can be turned back, ditto the benches if they are fenced off, so one price for the fair, one for everything

June

To add to the good ideas above, you could distinguish the level of entry by different colour wristbands quite easily, too  :)

Niki Gough

I really enjoyed FO and my class with Melanie on the Thursday. Can't add much except I had food on the Saturday and thought it was ok however on the Thursday had to run out to get lunch as forgot to stop in the petrol station on the way to get some and was very pleased to find lots of choice only 2 mins down the road at the shopping area. I wasn't able to stay for the Sunday so can't comment on the bead fair but loved the rest, thank you for such a great show and can't wait for next years x
Niki x
N Designs Crafts

Every oops is an aah waiting to happen.

theflyingbedstead

I thoroughly enjoyed the Flame Off again - I always do! This venue was the best so far I think, in that there was plenty of space, chairs, parking and the torch area was perfectly lit so that we could see the flame ok. The temperature and noise levels were spot on, there was a working tannoy and I loved the demo area with the large screen. There were plenty of fabulous glassy goodies to buy and the demo artists were very generous with their advice. It was evident as soon as I arrived that the event was far less stressful for Martin than last years Flame Off and this filtered down to everyone I think, making it a more relaxed do. I somehow missed lunchtime both days  ::)

I was sad that some suppliers were absent - Frit en Glas, Off-Mandrel, P&T, Warm Glass and Wellhead Books for example. But it has been a difficult year and some have moved on to new ventures - this is way beyond the control of the organisers.
Charlotte x

MangoBeads

We thought it was wonderful and as SO many have said after last year and all the problems that you all had with the venue Uttoxeter was a breath of fresh air in so many ways .

I think that any event takes time to establish itself and having been present at flame Off every year I would say that its is establishing itself now as THE flame working event both here in the UK and Internationally as well .

It would be nice to see more traders and more variety being offered for sale. Im conscious that folk may get fed up with the same traders every year but as charlotte says thats not down to the organisers perhaps we need to approach suppliers we would like to see at Flame Off and suggest they apply - perhaps within the trading calender it has not yet established itself as a selling event as well as it could . As Julie points out there is also much interest in fusing and it would be good to see bullseye putting in an appearance for one.

It would be great to get the tv screens downstairs working for those of us that dont get away to watch any demos - but thats a minor issue .

All in all it was fabulous - it will continue to grow every year and i hope for those behind the scenes become easier to organise . You all work so hard for it and we are extremely lucky to have the opportunity to be part of such a fantastic flameworking event !

jobead

Quote from: MangoBeads on April 20, 2014, 08:49:31 AM
All in all it was fabulous - it will continue to grow every year and i hope for those behind the scenes become easier to organise . You all work so hard for it and we are extremely lucky to have the opportunity to be part of such a fantastic flameworking event !

Perfectly put !

Princess Peggy (Priscilla McGirr)

CONS:  I couldn't see the demos I did get to very well, and I agree about needing more signage...I kept going the wrong way both coming and going.

As a trader I would have liked all the stalls to have been all in the same area as we were a bit cut off from the main action, but I can see why the people staying for the bead fair were in the farther room. 

I really thought the food was pretty poor and expensive too.  £1.80 for a cup of tea is extortionate in my view!

PROS:  Apart from these minor points I was impressed with the venue, the lovely atmosphere, the enthusiasm of the people coming in, and I did have a very keen lady who had seen it advertised in the local paper, came to see what it was like, and went away a confirmed lampwork aficionado. Uttoxeter seems like a nice little town, and I hope it becomes the venue for F O next time too!
Pris
My Website http://www.dancingwithglass.co.uk  My Etsy http://www.etsy.com/shop/princesspeggy01
My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/DancingwithglassLampwork

Pegasus

From our point of view, the whole event was a HUGE success!

Liked the space, much better than the cramped space at Towcester. I agree with others, I think more variety of lampworkers & traders would be a positive. I think this could draw more people to the show. I personally would like to see some more international artists selling their beads, again, I think this would bring in more people.

I think there was room for some more traders, it seemed a little sparce in places. Lighting wasn't great where we were, I do believe that it's very importnant that you can see, especially when looking at glass to buy, it needs to be nice & bright so you can see the true colous. Something I found lacking at Towcester, struggling to see the real true colurs of glass on Tuffnells stall.

Overall, fantastic.
~ BEV ~
www.pegasuslampworktools.co.uk      

Purplicious

This was my first FO, but I though the venue was great, with plenty of space (I've been to a few bead fairs which felt very claustrophobic as they were so cramped and stuffy). It was easy to get to for us more northern based lampworkers and I had no problem in finding the venue - instructions on the FO website worked well. I didn't try the catering - past experience of places like this means I usually bring my own food/drinks anyway. 

I hope FO will return to Uttoxeter, as I would definitely go again.

Annoucements over the tannoy about the demos etc would have been good - I forgot to go to one, as I got so absorbed in looking round the stalls!

Kathy

tuffnell glass

Hi ,
Great comments from all of you . I will quickly answer a few of the more common remarks.

Catering is totally out of our control and all we can do is pass on your comments to the racecourse team. We are not allowed to put in our own teams , this was always a problem at Towcester and Silverstone and there is always going to be some likes and some dislikes on the food and drinks but it will all be passed on.

The positioning of Flame Off benches is controlled by the fire doors and the gas storage areas , if we were to put them further up the hall we would be contravening the safety and have huge amounts of gas/oxygen hose running along the floor from the storage area that becomes a trip hazard.

We will talk to next years artists about different demos , we have always been pretty easy going in the past with them but we will ask for an idea in advance of what they will be demonstrating.

More stands.....well we ask many many traders every year . Obviously Frit en Glas, Plowdens and Off mandrel were not attending for well documented reasons. Well Head Books had one of his own events that he was running on the same weekend. Other traders we invite every single year include Warm Glass , Kiln care , Creative Glass , Walshes, Poops Bros and a few other stained glass traders but most never answer there mail or messages and those that do simply say no. Maybe public pressure might sway them next year so start pestering them.

The TVs downstairs are not connected to the monitors upstairs and are actually owned by Tote Betting so we need to contact them about using them , we did not realise this until it was too late and had no access to them on Wednesday or Thursday so could not fix the problem in time.

The large area to the left in the main hall that was empty of traders was left as there was no electric power points in this area , so anybody in there would be powerless which was not good, again trailing extension leads all across the floor is not allowed so we will need to look at this again and try and sort out a better solution.

Bead Fair incorporated within Flame Off is an idea that we are looking into now, in the past this has been a very problematic area as no lampwork artist wants to be sited next to a trader selling £1 strings and we have to be fair to both exhibitors so that both sell well and return, in years past at Towcester when the mix was allowed the lampwork sellers got upset at lack of sales understandably.

Thanks again for all the comments both positive and negative , they have all been noted and we will refresh our memoirs next year with them and try and fix as many as possible.

Best wishes ,
martin

tuffnellglass@yahoo.co.uk
www.tuffnellglass.com
www.flameoff.co.uk