Well what did you think

Started by tuffnell glass, April 17, 2014, 08:36:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicknack

The egg roll I had on Friday was horrible - it tasted like cardboard!  Apart from that, I loved the venue - easier for me to get to than Silverstone, no driving for miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiles round the perimeter track, there's a Tescos almost on the doorstep for fuel and sandwiches, plenty of nearby hotels, plenty of room and a nice atmosphere.  Lots of lovely glass and lots of lovely people - brilliant!  Thank you.  I loved my day of glass blowing on Thursday; when I win the lottery I'm getting me a FURNACE ;D.

Nick

marklaird

I had a great time. Although it was a lot further than silver stone for me, it was an easy drive with motorway all the way to derby.
Things I liked
That's easy - pretty much everything. Loved the bauble making, the torches, the artists demos (much more personal than last year, and interaction as the artists were doing things). Thought the range of stalls was good.

Things to improve - signage outside - no mention of flame off until you actually got to the venue.
Think the idea of having the torches in the darker part of the space is a good idea but you will have to find some longer hoses Martin. Thought that the stalls tucked away on the left as you entered the main hall were dark, and not encouraging. Having them in the light and airy bit would have been better for them.
Love the idea of bead making 101. Would be happy to volunteer to help out with that next year.

Brought sandwiches so no comments on the food.

Overall much better than last year. Martin was much less stressed so more able (willing) to stop and have a chat. More space to move around, but as I think someone else has mentioned, it would be nice to have some more seating.

Mark

Dragonfire Glass

There was a cafe Sue, where one lot of stallholders were. They were selling cottage pie, chips, sandwiches & hot drinks amongst other things. Is that what you mean by the bar?

JaySpangles

I thought the venue was a success.  There will always be folk that complain about the distance but this seemed a happy compromise between North and South.  Easy motorway access.  Great facility having on site camping.

I felt the large empty space around the biggest bead stall made it feel as if you were short of exhibitors, and would have preferred the ambience of having more stalls in the one room (although the contra to that is overcrowding?).

I thought the torch location was good where it was.  Close to the door ventilation, and light.  I would find it much more difficult in a darker area as I need to have light to see what I am doing.  Seeing the actual flame is less of an issue for me.

Perhaps all exhibitors should be advised to bring their own lights as the general lighting level in the big room was poor.

I would prefer the demonstrators all to do two different demos.

I think the idea of having a basic level of demo for beginners running for set periods through the day in the torch area is a good one.  I saw a few people having a go on the torches who hadn't a clue.  I am sure volunteers could be found to sit for 30 mins at a time and make, say, simple dot beads or simple pressed beads. The subjects and locations could be advertised over the tannoy, (indeed if there is a public address system it could be put to good use generally).  I certainly would be happy to help with something like that.

The food wasn't an issue for me, but might it be worth investigating an independent caterer (I assume that the catering was provided by the racecourse). Perhaps a lampworker who is local to the area could contribute to that discussion.

All in all a most successful event.  Thank you to all of you who put in such a lot of effort.  I hope it was worthwhile and you sold lots!

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: Dragonfire Glass on April 18, 2014, 09:24:35 AM
There was a cafe Sue, where one lot of stallholders were. They were selling cottage pie, chips, sandwiches & hot drinks amongst other things. Is that what you mean by the bar?

All I saw was the bar area just by the entrance (next to the area where Manda, Madeline, Pegasus etc were sited) - if there was a cafe then it needed to be signposted better because I didn't spot it.  If there was a cafe, it might have been helpful if the bar had pointed this out when I asked what food they had at 1pm.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Dragonfire Glass

Quote from: Blue Box Studio on April 18, 2014, 09:32:58 AM
Quote from: Dragonfire Glass on April 18, 2014, 09:24:35 AM

All I saw was the bar area just by the entrance (next to the area where Manda, Madeline, Pegasus etc were sited) - if there was a cafe then it needed to be signposted better because I didn't spot it.  If there was a cafe, it might have been helpful if the bar had pointed this out when I asked what food they had at 1pm.

That's the place. That's where I saw people eating chips  :)

June

And those chips were probably the worst chips I have ever tasted. I didn't think you could go far wrong with chips, but that illusion has been well and truly shattered  :o :)

Pauline

I thought it was brilliant.  the glass blowing furnace site was great for us as it was sheltered and withing view of the torches, however if we are at the same venue next time we would need to put signs in the main areas as there were people who didn't discover us.   The day course on the thursday seemed to go down really well as did the bauble blowing on the friday but not so good on the saturday so maybe we could book in more teaching on the saturday instead.  we didn't eat at the cafe though our bacon butties and veggie alternatives seemed to go down well with the workers!!!

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: Dragonfire Glass on April 18, 2014, 09:42:16 AM
That's the place. That's where I saw people eating chips  :)

Deffo no chips at 1pm, no offer of hot food, and I think making the cup of tea was about his limit.  We had to correct him on his maths - else would have overcharged us by several £s on a bag of crisps and a cup of tea!

Quote from: June on April 18, 2014, 11:37:17 AM
And those chips were probably the worst chips I have ever tasted. I didn't think you could go far wrong with chips, but that illusion has been well and truly shattered  :o :)

Perhaps I was the lucky one?

Quote from: Pauline on April 18, 2014, 12:44:10 PM
we would need to put signs in the main areas as there were people who didn't discover us.   

Me, I didn't find you!  I didn't realise you were there with the glass blowing, no signs :(
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Pauline

Quote from: Pauline on April 18, 2014, 12:44:10 PM
we would need to put signs in the main areas as there were people who didn't discover us.   

Me, I didn't find you!  I didn't realise you were there with the glass blowing, no signs :(

[/quote]

And I thought you were ignoring me  :o :o :o

Pat from Canvey

I had an egg mayonaisse roll from the bar on Friday and cottage pie and chips on Saturday. Perfectly adequate as it filled a hole. I wandered around all the stalls and upstairs so had no problem with finding everything, including the empty cash point. I liked the venue and having the campsite so near was a plus as I can't walk far. I particularly liked my J C Herrell class on Thursday as she's a very good teacher and would recommend her classes to anyone. I would certainly attend another class with her.

Moira HFG

Quote from: June on April 18, 2014, 11:37:17 AM

Ah, June, you are not wrong. As it happens, I am just back from the dentist, having the filling replaced that those leathery chips pushed out last Friday. I had sandwiches, but felt like something hot. The catering was quite poor, and not much on offer for non-meat eaters.

Apart from that, I liked Uttoxeter very much. I loved the fact that it was near a railway station so I didn't have to drive. The space seemed appropriate in terms of size and shape. I had a great time trying torches and watching the demos, and it's good to see things you fancy before you buy. I' be very happy to go there again.

Though I might nip off site for lunch.

Moira

June

:). Hope your dentist trip went ok and not too painful.

Lush!

As a stallholder and Flame Off attendee since the beginning I have to say I thought the venue was brilliant!  It was lovely to have so much more room to spread out compared to Towcester which was a very tight squeeze for us all.

Uttoxeter in general is a great little town and the range of accommodation and eateries was great.  Big vote for Masala Art Indian restaurant!

I think Maya's idea of beginners' demonstrations is really good, to show people the basics and give them a practical tour of a starter kit.  It would be nice to get the demonstrating artists to come down and mingle a bit too, and I definitely agree about asking them to make something different on the second day - and hopefully the downstairs tv screens will work next year.

It would be really good to get some new, more varied traders along next year.  We chatted about other types of glass suppliers, and workshops - fused and stained glass would be very welcome, I'm sure.

Well done Tuffnells, it was a great show and I'm looking forward to next year  ;D

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

June

Quote from: Lush! on April 18, 2014, 06:44:41 PM

It would be really good to get some new, more varied traders along next year.  We chatted about other types of glass suppliers, and workshops - fused and stained glass would be very welcome, I'm sure.

Well done Tuffnells, it was a great show and I'm looking forward to next year  ;D

I agree with Julie and there was enough room to accomodate a few more stalls. I, personally, would like to see some fusing suppliers there too  :)