I want a pitted finish - any ideas?

Started by GaysieMay, May 19, 2014, 09:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trudi

I'm not at my pc but I think it might have been in this issue

http://www.sodalimetimes.com/back/0313/0313.jpg

I can check later if you want x

Pat from Canvey

It's on page 40 of that issue. I was looking at Lampwork Etc and also saw a mention of adding fine sand to the bead's surface. I couldn't find a picture and have never tried it but will do later today. If it works, I'll post a picture here.

Pat from Canvey

Heres the promised picture,
I didn't use a lot of the fine sand and only tried to put it on the bottom of the bead in the hopes of a bit of contrast. I'll try again with a lot more sand next time.

JanieD

That's great Pat, I hadn't seen any pictures of the sand method either, and glad you've tested it out. One to add to my list I think.

Jane

GaysieMay

Brilliant, thanks Pat and Trudi, I'll get some sand from the beach tomorrow - see how that goes! X
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/gaysiemay

Pat from Canvey

Last bead, covered with a LOT of fine sand. The base was a stony coloured glass but I can't find it's name and the fine sand is from a builders yard. I already had the sand for something else. It's fine enough to go through a plastic tea strainer.

ajda

Nice one Pat - looks a bit like a potato croquette waiting to go into the frying pan... After rolling in sand, has it gone back in the flame - and for how long? I'm wondering what would happen if you continued melting it in.
Alan
www.ajdalampwork.etsy.com

Pat from Canvey

I kept reheating and adding more sand. I heated until it wouldn't accept more sand, must have been at least 10 x until it felt that it wouldn't accept any more sand. At that point it seemed that excess sand was falling off and burning. I might try a mixture of enamel and sand to see what the effect would be.

Moira HFG

That has an interesting texture Pat. Does the flame soften the sand grain edges, or would it be rather abrasive to wear?
Sand and enamel sounds intriguing.

GaysieMay

Didn't go down to the beach today - typical bank hol weather - so will have to wait to play, but Pat as ever you are so inspiring. Thank you for sharing. Xxx
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/gaysiemay