Advice for a Flame Off "Virgin"

Started by Purplicious, April 06, 2014, 10:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Niki Gough

Make yourself a name badge :) I went to my first FO last year and didn't know anyone however because of my badge I was talking to someone before I even got in through the door. It was really nice and everyone was lovely. If you see my please come and say Hi as I love meeting new people and happy help anyone if you are feeling at a loss. I know it can be very hard going to something like this if you don't know anyone x
Niki x
N Designs Crafts

Every oops is an aah waiting to happen.

Purplicious

Thanks for all your brilliant advice - I've made myself a name badge, so please say hello to me on Friday.

So, to sum up, I will need to balance talking to people (but not too much ;D) with stroking glass, watching demos, taking notes, buying things and generally hanging out. I've also volunteered to spend an hour on the torch benches from 1 to 2pm and I'd really like a go at the bauble blowing. I don't think I'll be leaving early!!

Must go and make a list of the glass I already have - I definitely don't need any more CIM Sangre (how did I end up with so much of this ???)

Kathy

Nicknack

I'll be taking over from you - I'm on Torches from 2 to 3!  See you then, if not before.

Nick

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: Purplicious on April 07, 2014, 11:22:46 PM

So, to sum up, I will need to balance talking to people (but not too much ;D) with stroking glass, watching demos, taking notes, buying things and generally hanging out.
Must go and make a list of the glass I already have - I definitely don't need any more CIM Sangre (how did I end up with so much of this ???)

Kathy

Beware the temptation of someone else saying 'you must try this glass' as you wander around Tuffnell's stands - I bought a lot I'd probably not have bought, and having melted it, am sure I'd not have bought.  I have a lot of some weird green glass - swamp moss ??? left.  Not sure why I bought so much green, I don't really like green and my customers certainly don't!  (Perhaps it was some kind of initiation bet - can we get her to buy 2kg of hideous glass - they won!)
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Dragonfire Glass

Calico Cat

Watch this space for new Etsy shop . . .

Calico Cat

I'm also helping on the torches from 2 to 3 on Friday (waves at NickNack) - say hello before you leave the torches.

Watch this space for new Etsy shop . . .

Shirley

I like Swamp Moss too. Sounds like you should bring it along to sell/trade!
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Nicknack

Quote from: Calico Cat on April 08, 2014, 08:12:16 AM
I'm also helping on the torches from 2 to 3 on Friday (waves at NickNack) - say hello before you leave the torches.

Waving back!

Nick

Kalorlo

Heh, I like Jungle Twilight which is kinda similar, and I have Swamp Moss now too... (The Vetro odds make great gremlins!)

jobead

Another Swamp Moss fan here, at least you know there is a market once everyone else has run out Sue !

helbels

Quote from: Purplicious on April 07, 2014, 11:22:46 PM
Thanks for all your brilliant advice - I've made myself a name badge, so please say hello to me on Friday.

So, to sum up, I will need to balance talking to people (but not too much ;D) with stroking glass, watching demos, taking notes, buying things and generally hanging out. I've also volunteered to spend an hour on the torch benches from 1 to 2pm and I'd really like a go at the bauble blowing. I don't think I'll be leaving early!!

Kathy

That's a pretty good summary, but don't forget to have a little play on the torches too. I spend a lot of my time hanging out there, but do get up and have a wander about every so often in case I get told off for torch hogging!

Carefulkate

It is my first Flame off too and this thread is great I am going with a friend who is a super lamp worker so will have company but very excited it is like everything else in life you will get back from it what you put in I am sure I will be overwhelmed by all the choices but really looking forward to putting some faces to names on here x

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: jobead on April 08, 2014, 07:36:10 PM
Another Swamp Moss fan here, at least you know there is a market once everyone else has run out Sue !

Does it do anything other than murky green?  Perhaps I'll dig it out of the 'why ever did I buy that' box and recycle it here (won't be done before FO).
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Quirky Bird

QuoteNot sure why I bought so much green, I don't really like green and my customers certainly don't!  (Perhaps it was some kind of initiation bet - can we get her to buy 2kg of hideous glass - they won!)

Could you have been wearing anything green when you bought all the green glass last year? I've noticed that I tend to be drawn to the colours I'm wearing that day. Don't know if this happens to anyone else, or whether this is yet another of my quirky traits  :D

So the question is, what colour do I wear tomorrow?? Perhaps multi coloured is the way to go.......

Abby
A clean house is the sign of a broken oxycon.