Advice for a Flame Off "Virgin"

Started by Purplicious, April 06, 2014, 10:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purplicious

I'll be at the Flame Off on Friday. Although I've been lampworking for quite a few years, I've never made it to a Flame Off before, so I'm really excited about finally getting there :). Does anyone have any advice about how to get the most out of it?

Thanks,

Kathy

amareargentum

Make the most of the demos, they are great. And don't forget a notebook to jot down all the useful tips. I did the first year, it never occurred to me that I would need one! Most of all enjoy it  :)

Pauline

have some idea of the glass you already have so you don't duplicate what you already have.
Go straight to the bauble blowing and book your session ( ;D ;D ;D) then go round without buying getting and idea of what there is and orientate yourself............ then just jump in with both feet, say hello to everyone in wearing a badge, watch as much as you can, play with different torches, watch a demo, buy stuff cos you can see it, feel it (and lick it)

helbels

Talk to people! Even random strangers. I thought my first Flame Off was crap, cos I saw everything there was to see by lunchtime and thought "is that it?". Then the second time I realised that what really makes the event is chatting to fellow glassy folk and now I love it!

Nicknack

Quote from: helbels on April 07, 2014, 12:10:00 AM
Talk to people! Even random strangers. I thought my first Flame Off was crap, cos I saw everything there was to see by lunchtime and thought "is that it?". Then the second time I realised that what really makes the event is chatting to fellow glassy folk and now I love it!

Definitely!  It's lovely to be able to put faces to names.  Last year (my first FO) I was in awe at meeting all these people who made such wonderful beads I'd been admiring on here, but they were all really nice and friendly.

Nick

james M knox

Visit the torches,

there is always new things to try and usually someone who can help explain

::)

JMKnox

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: Nicknack on April 07, 2014, 12:19:05 AM
Quote from: helbels on April 07, 2014, 12:10:00 AM

Definitely!  It's lovely to be able to put faces to names.  Last year (my first FO) I was in awe at meeting all these people who made such wonderful beads I'd been admiring on here, but they were all really nice and friendly.

Nick

First time I went I spent so much time chatting :o I only saw one demo!
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Pat from Canvey

"First time I went I spent so much time chatting Shocked I only saw one demo!"

Now why am I not surprised by that  ;)  ;)  ;)

Nicknack

Quote from: Pat from Canvey on April 07, 2014, 01:20:15 PM
"First time I went I spent so much time chatting Shocked I only saw one demo!"

Now why am I not surprised by that  ;)  ;)  ;)

Me neither! ;D ;D

Nick

Blue Box Studio

Well, i wasn't chatting to myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Nicknack

Margram

Depends on your personality, but I felt rather alone at my first FO, it can seem that every one knows everyone else...so I'd advise you to arrange to meet one or two newbies to go around with.  You could set up a thread for this, I think someone did one year. Second one I went to was fine as I knew quite a few people by then ;D
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

Jay9

Hang around the torches towards the end of the day, you get some great 'ad hoc' demos.  ;)
Janine  xx

"You only retire when you stop doing something you don't like and start doing something you do"

DementedMagpie

Quote from: Jay9 on April 07, 2014, 03:49:49 PM
Hang around the torches towards the end of the day, you get some great 'ad hoc' demos.  ;)

Second that: last year some friendly people using the big torches showed me some of the basics of boro, and I ended up spending most of my Saturday having some great nail-polish-scorching fun with that.
Kathy

Blog - Flickr - Etsy - Facebook

CarolB

Last year was my first fo and I must admit I felt out of it.  I knew a few people but I still felt it was all beyond me if that makes any sense.  I didn't see any demos which I want to this year.  I am not much further on than I was this time last year because I haven't had the time to play/practice.  Just enjoy it there are lots of lovely things to look at and buy.
Carol