EFFETRE SOFT WHITE - PROBLEMS

Started by lizziejane, April 06, 2014, 07:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lotti

I do quite like soft white and some rods are shocky and some not, I have found warming them does help a bit, think it might be interesting as a frit???

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: Lotti on April 07, 2014, 10:20:51 AM
I do quite like soft white and some rods are shocky and some not, I have found warming them does help a bit, think it might be interesting as a frit???

104 frit is a bit insipid though?  Every rod in my last batch was shocky, could have been used as an indiscriminate weapon of mass destruction as it went off like machine gun fire!
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Lynnybobs

I also bought soft white as a rookie not knowing its form !
I have managed to use it for some beads - it is shocky and unpredictable but I have found that the thinner rods are better.
It does work OK as the core for an encased bead but I do prefer CIM peace - not at all shocky and a more dense white though it is a bit more expensive.
Lynnybobs
----x----

Nammie

I'm having similar explosive issues with effetre pistachio.  One rod has even split length wise but mainly I'm showering the work bench with chunks of it. When people warm it in the kiln do you put it in cold like for a batch anneal?  Or do you just put it in while at garaging temperature? Would it be worth me batch annealing the rods? I love the colour but my nerves (and those of the cat) just can't take it!

Kalorlo

If the rods have air holes running through them, annealing won't help. If they don't, it *might*.

I'd probably put them in cold, but just at the start of a normal kiln cycle, not a long slow batch annealing ramp up. Not done this myself though!

Shirley

Another thing to try - hold the rod in the flame so that the hot tip is higher than your hand. That way the heat won't shoot up the rod, heat the air in the holes and explode, or at least the risk will be reduced. It's the opposite of what is normally taught, but might be worth trying.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Nammie

Thanks Shirley and Heather, both sound like good advice. I'll give it all a go before I give up on this colour. I only really wanted to pull stringer from it! If I can get that far then things will get a lot easier.... I hope....

Lotti

Quote from: Blue Box Studio on April 07, 2014, 10:43:09 AM
Quote from: Lotti on April 07, 2014, 10:20:51 AM

104 frit is a bit insipid though?  Every rod in my last batch was shocky, could have been used as an indiscriminate weapon of mass destruction as it went off like machine gun fire!

Very true (hence the ????? but as it does give quite a nice effect with some colours, black and red I have used it with mostly you never know ;), might just have a go myself to see :) ).

kerensky

Funnily enough I was using this today, it was pinging off all over the place, just when I thought I was safe - exploding glass was flying through the air.  Not many rods left now.........

lizziejane

Nope, Ive tried using it all ways, spoke to Tuffnells today and they agree its a very shocky glass.  Ive decided to order some Opaque White to see how that goes for now if I do have a problem with it I will try the CiM peace glass.  Thanks everyone for your comments, its good to know Im not alone!!!

Kaz

I have found that CIM peace and Reichenbach white do not like to be encased and will crack if not immediately, then later. The only white I will now encase is standard Effetre white.
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

lizziejane

Thank you for the note of caution on encasing those two glasses.  Ive not tried encasing the Reichenbach.  Had a delivery of Effetre white so am hoping that will be better than the soft white.  I have yet to get onto the torch to try it out as Ive spent the last two days reorganising my workroom and clearing out a lot of old craft rubbish that had been stored for years.  I may get to play this afternoon. ;D

Jennie Lamb

I bought soft white glass at Flame Off a few years ago and Sally Carver gave me a tip which I blogged about.....here is the link http://raspberryrings.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/my-adventures-with-anise-whiteso-far.html if anyone is interested.... ;D

lizziejane

Thats a really interesting read, thank you for sharing. Sadly I cant even get the glass to stop shocking long enough to make stringer out of it :( so no go there. Just gonna have to be frit im afraid.

Trudi

Ohh Jennie I hadn't seen that before, thanks for sharing.  I have some less shocky batches  (it still shocks but not like popcorn!) ... I'll have to have a play!