EFFETRE SOFT WHITE - PROBLEMS

Started by lizziejane, April 06, 2014, 07:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lizziejane

Hello, wondering if anyone else has problems with the Effetre 104 coe soft white glass rods.  I recently bought a 1.4 of a kilo from Tuffnell glass and they are spitting like crazy.  I cant use them, gone through two rods just trying to get one to stay still long enough to get a gather, very frustrating and spent ages clearing up my workbench this morning after my last torch session.  Ive tried warming them by the torch for about five minutes before use, holding them by the flame but no good.  Im on a hothead torch with bulk propane and have used Reichenbach white with no problem at all.

Shirley

Afraid it's par for the course. It's also known as Anise white and it is notoriously shocky. It's not one I've ever used, so I can't offer much advice.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

lizziejane

Thank you, glad its not something Im doing wrong, think I will stick with the Reichenbech for now :)

helbels

Be careful with the Reichenbach white, I had a big cracking issues with it a while back and I wasn't the only one!

Pat from Canvey

I've had problems with the soft white too so I put the rods in the kiln to warm up to annealing temperature.

hopejacare

Yep I had given up with mine......drove me crazy.....great idea Pat will try that. Cheers Claire x

June

Normal white is usually ok. Did you get soft white for a reason?  :)

The Tartan Trout

I have loads of soft white that I bought whilst not concentrating.

lizziejane

June, I didn't really know the difference to be honest, but will try the other white if its better, thank you.  Pat I don't have a kiln yet but wondered if I could warm them in the oven wrapped in a teatowel or something similar? Helbels I haven't had an issue with my stick of Reichenbach yet, but will be watchful.  Thanks everyone.

Blue Box Studio

The last batch I bought are all frit in a stick - I've put them in the bin!  Tried warming on top of and in the kiln, made no difference (one rod exploded in the kiln and showered a few beads that were already in there so they were in the bin as well; could see the little air holes in the glass which I think is what's causing the shocking.  At least it's cheap glass.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Enchanted Cobwebs

I have a bundle of this too, thought about annealing but probably not worth the effort. Bought CIM peace instead, thats playing nicely!
Now I can play all day as I retired from the 'proper' job....
http://www.enchantedcobwebs.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/EnchantedCobwebs

princess pink

When I first started beading I assumed "soft" white meant it would melt easier so I bought loads of it! I soon learned my lesson. It spits all over the place! Made me jump out my seat the first time I used it!!

Dragonfire Glass

Is it any good as frit - smash it up and use it?

lizziejane

Thank you. I have contacted Tuffnells who offered to swap it for the other white but its going to cost more to send it back than its worth. Frit on a stick is a good description. Never again.

Shirley

There are people who use it successfully, I believe, especially as a core over which to lay transparent glass. Personally I use silver pink if I want I more subtle core than regular white can give me. It plays very nicely :)
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver