Adding reservoir chamber for reliable oxygen supply?

Started by Steampunkglass, April 03, 2014, 07:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raul24

Cromwell.co.uk has portable air tanks made by air sip.

Pat from Canvey

Quote from: Steampunkglass on April 04, 2014, 11:44:38 AM
I looked at them before and they worked out more expensive in the longer run, plus the safety issues.

Am I missing something Glen? Surely if you have a tank reservoir of oxygen it's no more or less dangerous than tanked oxygen, unless there is a large pressure difference. The Cromwell link is https://www.cromwell.co.uk/index.php?search_all=portable+air+tanks&search.x=35&search.y=10&p=advancedsearch&q=0 But is does specify that it's an air tank. There may be safety regulations regarding the thickness of the wall of tanks meant for storing oxygen under pressure.

Steampunkglass

Ta for the link Raul!

It should be safer Pat as (for me at least) it's just to hold some extra pressure whilst working, and then it can be run down and empty at the end of the day. I think some of these bigger set-ups are as a substitute for having to rely on tanked oxygen, and huge torches that get through a lot in a very short space of time, which as you say are just as dangerous as commercial tanks and maybe more dangerous as they are home-made systems

Hamilton Taylor

No, they aren't as dangerous; as you say Pat, there is a huge pressure difference. Bottles are around 2000psi when full; the tank I run pumps to 100psi or thereabouts. You don't need a huge pressure, it only has to be more than you need for the torch. Then, you put it through a regulator, same as you would on a bottle, and you're sorted! :-)

garishglobes

Not to hijack, but Ruth, if you are thinking of a Sidewinder, talk to me first  ;)

I need one of these homefill systems too at some point, I think...

Pat from Canvey

garishglobes

Hotglass28

found this.  With a bit of retro fitting or buying larger tanks from them. could be a solution.

Got a feeling they are expensive. one of them is 3,600 with vat.
http://www.healthoxygen.com/store/oxygen-cylinder-fillers.html
www.facebook.com/pages/The-Owl-Goes-Hoot/567182803365298
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheOwlGoesHoot?ref=l2-shopheader-name