combing..eg..

Started by sandmor1, March 29, 2014, 09:11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandmor1

I am a long way off doing anything like this but I have a query concerning the kiln schedule.

I read that in order to do anything to glass it must be when the temp is at it's peak and that the kiln must be turned off before opening the lid.

Now what I want to know is...will the kiln automatically return to the segment it was on (and presumably also reheat back to the peak temp again) or do I have to reset the programme again.

I have a Skutt Hotstart Pro with a 3 button programmer.

Thanks

Sandra

flame n fuse

I don't know anything about a Skutt, but presume that having the kiln turned off is an essential precaution if your kiln has exposed elements and might not be necessary if elements are embedded. you need a lot of protection to do combing (eyes, skin etc). the American warmglass forum might be helpful  http://www.warmglass.com/phpBB/index.php

Pat from Canvey

I've done combing in the past using my old ceramic kiln which has exposed side and base elements. The kiln also switches off if the front opening door is opened. I used to heat the glass to about 930 degrees C to make it molten. I also used to gear up with kiln gloves, plus old suede sleeves that had been soaked in water and a clear face and chest body shield I put together just to stop super heated air blowing onto me. I used metal combing tools ( modified BBQ tools ) but just took care not to touch the elements. I also don't know anything about using a Skutt but the ceramic kiln just started up again to bring the kiln back up to the temperature I wanted. Combing takes time, one pass of the glass, shut the kiln door, wait till the kiln comes back up to temperature, open door before doing another comb, close door and carry on till you have the effect you want. I found that the door should not be open for more than a few seconds for each comb as the glass quickly firms up when the door is opened. I'll look out some photos.

Pat from Canvey

I found a couple of the old photos,

The bottom comb is inside the lid of a Cadbury's sweet tin.

flame n fuse

Zeldazog

Depends on who you speak or listen to, as I know in the US, opening and venting kilns isn't unusual - but it's advised against with glass kilns where the elements are in a brick/cement lid, as is in the Hotstart Pro, as it can make it go very brittle apparently.

If you do want to try it, though, Pat is right in that most kilns will auto shut off when you open the door.  Many ceramics kilns are designed to not even start a firing if the door isn't closed and fully locked, and I know it is a requirement for all kilns sold in the UK market to have a switch off device if the door/lid is opened; so theoretically, you don't have to stop the program anyway, as it *should* disconnect as you lift the lid (try firing it without the lid latch in place, it won't run).  Obviously it's down to yourself to check that though.

sandmor1

Thank you all...maybe I won't bother opening it. I certainly don't want to damage the kiln in any way.

Sandra