A word or three about...... Oxycons...

Started by glassworks, November 29, 2007, 04:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

julieHB

Mine definitely turns more temperamental in the winter. It switches itself off several times during the first half hour, and I cannot run it on full for a while. I work in a dry place, but it does get cold. Have started to turn on a fan heater 30 mins before I start the oxycon, to see if it helps (have hardly torched for the last 2 weeks, though, and it will be another 2 weeks before I can start again).

I just wanted to add something I read somewhere (cannot remember now) - it is paramount that the oxycons are run more than 30 mins each time, otherwise they are not able to get rid of the condensations in the sieve beds, and moisture will build up and ruin the beds.
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

ejralph

I never noticed this thread before.

In my experience, moisture is the definite enemy of oxycons.

My first oxycon would almost always be running on orange light in my shed. I might get 20 minutes green light, after that - onto orange and it would stay at orange all day (and yes, I would notice a decrease in performance from this.

When I got my second oxycon, I moved them both to an upstairs room indoors and run a long hose out to the shed. It is very very rare now to come into the room and see either of the oxycons on orange. Only maybe if a lot of damp air is coming in through the cracked window where the hose runs out.

So, same oxycon will run all day on green indoors in the warm. Out in the shed, it was just a poorly puppy.

HTH

Emma