Self-printed decals on fused glass

Started by MeadMoon, February 22, 2014, 12:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

June

I have tried it printing on the bulk standard white glass with mixed success. One came out fine. One I must have used too high a temperature and was quite faded. One the decal moved and came out a mess. So a bit of practise is helpful! I thought Warm Glass suggested using fine clear powder between layers but as mentioned above, the decal may move and can distort. however, I didn't try the suggestion of fusing on the bottom layer first, so that may be worth trying at some point.  Good luck  :)

Jane C ♫

Yay! Glad it was helpful! Look forward to seeing what you make :)
Hand Painted Silk and Fused Glass Artist.
Lampwork Beginner!
Website

bob proulx

I do a lot of decal work for coasters and pet memorials. I usually fire on regular stained glass because I can find it locally. For coe purposes I only fire pieces that came out of the same sheet. I don't have my schedule in front pf me but I fire to 1380 and hold 10 minutes. If you want to cap it you must fuse the decal and in an other firing add the cap.
I sell many coaster sets, these sets have local beaches and make nice presents.
I you would like to see the coasters click on the link below and go to the pictures on glass gallery.

https://www.google.com/search?q=proulxglassdesigns.com&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

Bob

Nina A

Hi,
I've been using the Photo fuse paper for a few years, and found a number of different uses,  personalising gift tags,  coasters, fridge magnets, and other bits and pieces.
I always fire between the glass,  all in one fuse,

IMAG0485[1] by 1055Nina, on Flickr
I've had mixed results,  but find it fun to play with.

IMAG0489[1] by 1055Nina, on Flickr
Fridge magnets are an easy make and sell at craft fairs.......   
If you zoom into the photo you can see that some of these have been fired at too high a temperature and the decal paper has started to move,  so they will be consigned to the bin,  but a few are okay and will end up with Magnets on the back........

MeadMoon

I've just realised that I've been missing posts but I'm not sure how.  Thank you for all your help, it's been really useful.

The pictures appear clearer (ie. sharper picture with better detail) when fusing between two sheets of glass rather than on top, and it's a lot more durable as well.  I tried painting on top of one design to give a hand-tinted look, but the paint was all streaky and didn't look good at all.  While cleaning it all off half the sepia came off as well, so I used a diamond pad to clear the whole lot off and fused a completely different photo on top of the resulting matt surface :)

Here are the two attempts that I've been most pleased with so far.

Loughrigg Tarn by Mead Moon, on Flickr

Loughrigg Tarn reflections by Mead Moon, on Flickr
Elaine at Mead Moon  Facebook  Etsy

Barnacle Bay

Oh well done - they look really good  ;)

Pat from Canvey

MeadMoon

Thank you.  They do need to be backlit though otherwise they are a bit dark and you can't see the detail, so any tips regarding framing, so that they could be hung in a window, or another method of backlighting would be welcome.
Elaine at Mead Moon  Facebook  Etsy

bob proulx

Those look good. I always read you could not cap them so I never tried, after seeing yours and Nina's I will have to try it.
Bob

shafeenan

Dee (chewsymums on you tube) gives some good hints on fusing decals