Can you tell me what’s happening here? Smoky thread just below the surface

Started by Andy Davies, January 15, 2014, 09:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ruth

Frittering the children's inheritance.

silkworm

Quote from: Andy Davies on January 16, 2014, 11:19:24 AM
Quote from: Margram on January 16, 2014, 09:06:55 AM

Andy, I've not used a hothead but understand that lots of users make a kitchen foil collar which you can leave in situ and just bring up to cover the holes when you want to deliberately reduce a glass (silver glass for instance)  :)

Thanks Margram, what I found is with just two holes covered, it makes the difference as to whether or not I can melt 2mm Ø copper wire.  The torch head runs hotter with just two holes covered but I have a hefty brass fixing that hold the neck of the torch and acts as a heat sink, I figure heat could possible affect the seals in the gas valve if it's been run straight off a MAPP cylinder for any length of time.

Thanks for the interest and useful feedback

.  .  .  Andy

That is interesting and not something I had thought of - I have only just moved from a hot head with MAPP gas which I had been on for years - I know it is incedibly expensive but I was not happy at the idea of larger containers of gas in the house - I have not noticed the seal being affected but then I might not know what I was looking for! Apart from gas escaping and I'm fairly certain that was not happening.
Mary

Andy Davies

Quote from: ruth on January 16, 2014, 01:33:48 PM
Please play nice. This is a friendly site.

Ruth
sewnthings

Thank you Ruth.

As you know I'm very new to the site and I'd like to thank everyone who has made my visits here a pleasure.

I've received sound practical  help and advice that I have acted on it, it's been invaluable.

And I'd like to think from the charming comments that I have received on my postings so far, that I have already made a small positive contribution myself.

I'm totally committed to complying with the rules of the site but more importantly to affording everyone the common courtesy they fully deserve, which of course I naturally expect from others.

With Kind Regards  .  .  .  Andy

Andy Davies

Skyblue

Andy I actually like that smoked glass bead :) it looks like a marble.

Andy Davies

Quote from: silkworm on January 16, 2014, 05:15:49 PM
Quote from: Andy Davies on January 16, 2014, 11:19:24 AM
Quote from: Margram on January 16, 2014, 09:06:55 AM

Andy, I've not used a hothead but understand that lots of users make a kitchen foil collar which you can leave in situ and just bring up to cover the holes when you want to deliberately reduce a glass (silver glass for instance)  :)

Thanks Margram, what I found is with just two holes covered, it makes the difference as to whether or not I can melt 2mm Ø copper wire.  The torch head runs hotter with just two holes covered but I have a hefty brass fixing that hold the neck of the torch and acts as a heat sink, I figure heat could possible affect the seals in the gas valve if it's been run straight off a MAPP cylinder for any length of time.

Thanks for the interest and useful feedback

.  .  .  Andy

That is interesting and not something I had thought of - I have only just moved from a hot head with MAPP gas which I had been on for years - I know it is incedibly expensive but I was not happy at the idea of larger containers of gas in the house - I have not noticed the seal being affected but then I might not know what I was looking for! Apart from gas escaping and I'm fairly certain that was not happening.

Hi Marry.

I don't think you're likely to have any problems if you are using the gas torch as it was intended to be used by the manufactures.

The comment that you have picked up on relates to using the torch with a restricted air flow.

If you restrict the air flow into the back of the Hot-Head torch the flame burns with a shorter cone and it burns hotter.

The cool air that would normally rush into the back of the torch helps to keep the torch cool.  (I doubt very much that the manufactures of the Hot-Head would approve of any modification of the design/operating conditions) but it's something that people do occasionally and it works for them and they've probably done it for years without incident.

The fact of the matter is if you reduce the air flow, the hot end of the torch will be hotter than normal and subsequently the valve seal and the hose etc may be subject to excusive heat if run for a long time.

All I'm saying is it's a safety consideration that possibly not everyone has thought about.

If you want to check for gas leaks add one drop of washing-up liquid to about three quarters of an eggcup full of warm water and with a small watercolour paint brush, paint around the places that you think could leak ie the connectors, joint and vale.

All of the gas fitting are none ferrous (wont rust) you don't need a lot of water but if there is a leak the gas will blow bubbles in the washing-up mixture and the leak will immediately obvious to you.

I hope you find that helpful.

Kind Regards  ... Andy       

Andy Davies

Andy Davies

Getting to grips with working away from the torch ...

DSCF6310 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

Above. The two beads to the left are 'Clear' glass and the one on the right is 'Crystal Clear' glass.

I made these last night following your advice and they've come out really clear, no 'smoky threads' that may not be a big deal when I compare them with my first effort the difference is stalking. 

DSCF6313 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

Above. The bead on the bottom right is made of Effetre  'Crystal Clear' glass, all of the others were made with Effertre 'Clear' glass all are CoE 104

The beads on the top row, I know now, have been 'burnt' because I was working too close to the torch. 

As it happens I really prefer the 'smoky bead' as the others are boring but at least I know what I was doing wrong and how to control it.

I've still got to work on my 'puckers' and stop introducing air bubbles.

I think I might just have a look to see if I can burn a small bead to death and then try and encapsulate it in clear glass to get I a bit of both worlds.

By the way ... I can't see any difference between the 'Clear' and 'Crystal Clear' other than the price ticket. Does the 'Crystal Clear' work better with solid colours? 

Or is there something else I'm missing.

Again thanks for the feedback it's a great help.

Regard  . . . Andy

Andy Davies

Hamilton Taylor

If you get a few rods of each, and look at one end while holding the other to a window, you'll see that the 004 is greener, the 006 bluer. The blue gives a more acceptable clear, particularly in larger gathers like marbles. (IMHO)
The 004 works 'scummier' than the 006 (it is more easy to boil it accidentally) - you will probably only notice the difference if you are working with oxy-propane. (HotHead lampworkers, can you overheat your clear?).

Also, I think the 006 has fewer inclusions (air, stones etc), but that could be my imagination. Opinions, anyone?

Sean

Andy Davies

Thanks Sean
I've just been looking at them again are far fewer air bubbles in the 'Crystal clear' glass but that was the last one I made and I think I may have been taking it a bit slower.

So I guess I need to try it again to be sure.

... Andy

Andy Davies

Dragonfire Glass

You can also use the 004 as a base glass under dearer glasses or as a stiffer base for casing with softer colours

GaysieMay

What's the betting one day you want to recreate the burnt beads and can't!  I have an earlier bead of me and can I heckers reproduce it now! X
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/gaysiemay

Redhotsal

Looking good Andy! Yes, I agree with Sean - the 004 is more prone to "scumming" - the scum being tiny air bubbles - lots of it together looks like a white trail where lots of tiny bubbles have formed. It certainly is possible to make the glass "boil" and form bubbles - you will also get scumming at the end of a freshly cut rod where bubbles are trapped from the jagged break on the rod.
Sean - I never noticed the colour difference before!

Jellybean

I've not seen the 004 but DH Zephyr is slightly yellowish if I remember right...

Andy Davies

Hi all I just wanted to make sure I have control over this 'smoky' issue so what I did was made a small bead out of 'Crystal Clear' glass and I deliberately burnt the surface, (the 'Crystal Clear' seems harder to burn than the striate 'Clear' glass)  and then without overheating the second layer I encapsulated it. I quite like the effect and having done that several times I now have a good feel for what it's all about.

DSCF6327 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

Been practicing 'puckers' too ...

DSCF6325 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

Hi Sally just to say thanks for the advice on the Effetre glass and the book.

I don't know what to do thirst, play with the glass or read the book and learn what I ought to be doing  . .  ah the agony of choice!

Thanks for looking.

All the very best    . . . Andy

Andy Davies

helbels