Help with gold leaf

Started by beadammed, December 15, 2013, 03:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steampunkglass

If you have problems with it sticking to your fingers use guilders whitening, or if you can't find that then corn-starch or talc, a thin dusting over your fingers to help stop it sticking (but not too much else you'll start getting it into the glass).

If you really want to be fancy and go down the route of using guilders cushions and knives I did a tutorial a few years ago on handling leaf using some of the traditional gilding techniques http://www.steampunkglass.com/page19.htm

Not sure how worth it the box is, I'd imagine you might be able to use an old biscuit or sweet tin, put the marver in the bottom of that with the gold inside to help stop any drafts?  ??? I'm guessing they're going to be a fair few of those tins being emptied over the next few weeks!  ::) ::) ::)

Apparently back in the 1700's when real gold was used on shop signs and buildings gilders would set up little tents around themselves to cut down on draughts - people from other trade guilds thought they were just being secretive trying to and hide their guilds secrets!

ARBeads

Rip your computer to bits, nick the fan, get some mesh wire, cover top of fan. Connect to one of them square batteries (9v). Try to put goldleaf on mesh, watch it disappear up extract.....remove battery put wire mesh on other side of fan, retry with gold leaf  - now it should be sucking not blowing.

;D
Ruth & Andy

www.etsy.com/shop/arjewellery for beads!

Margram

Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

ROC

Quote from: ARBeads on December 17, 2013, 03:12:36 PM
Rip your computer to bits, nick the fan, get some mesh wire, cover top of fan. Connect to one of them square batteries (9v). Try to put goldleaf on mesh, watch it disappear up extract.....remove battery put wire mesh on other side of fan, retry with gold leaf  - now it should be sucking not blowing.

;D

Great idea!  And I'm sure I'll get it wrong the first time!  LOL