Cubic Zirconia - multiple inclusions query

Started by Jane C ♫, December 16, 2013, 09:31:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jane C ♫

Hi!

Is there a limit to the number of Cubic Zirconia I could add to a bead before it becomes too stressed?

Are you supposed to encase them or can you leave the tops open to the air?

Thanks!
Hand Painted Silk and Fused Glass Artist.
Lampwork Beginner!
Website

mel

I think that you could get quite a lot into a bead without it cracking, although I personally would avoid having them cheek by jowl over large parts of the bead surface. I never encase them, but I make sure that I poke them well in so that the glass just begins to flow around the edge to hold them in. Don't forget that they have 2 different sides too, the flat side faces outwards and the more pointy side goes into the bead.
I glue them onto the tips of knackered mandrels which I have filed flat, then it's just a case of spot heating the bead and a confident poke.

I have never had a bead stressed due to CZ. There is more stress for the bead-maker than the bead!
Laughinglass Lampwork Beads

Redhotsal

I think it depends on size. I had some .8mm CZs which I quite happily encased in clear and at any level within the glass and although you can see stress around them (with a polariser) they have survived quite well. However, I also have some 1.2mm CZz which can crack the surrounding glass. I have mine very close to the surface and I encase with a thin dot of clear. They don't like to be "half-encased" - in other words - either encase the thing fully (so that all the CZ is beneath glass) or have it on the surface of the glass like Mel says. I really think size is the major issue.

Jane C ♫

Thanks Mel and Sal - that's really helpful.

I'd done a bit of an internet search and found the PVA glue / mandrel trick.
Have ordered some 2mm cz so will see how I get on with them.
I'll try them encased / not and see what happens!
Hand Painted Silk and Fused Glass Artist.
Lampwork Beginner!
Website