cim peacock - opalescent or transparent?

Started by flame n fuse, December 15, 2013, 09:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flame n fuse

I've been using CIM peacock recently and find that most of my beads turn out to be a mixture of opalescent and transparent. These are fairly simple round beads which are being worked just enough to get a decent shape and add some stringer. I've tried increasing / decreasing the oxygen, but no effect. Is there a trick for retaining the opalescence?

ShinySnail

Hi,
I emailed CiM with a question about Peacock Green a couple of years ago, and Kathy there sent me the following lovely response:
Hope this helps!

Yes, we do recommend annealing our three moonstones (Cirrus, Halong Bay, and Peacock Green) higher than normal. In general we find 990-1100 works better for our moonstones, and some of our opals too. Though some testers use their regular Effetre annealing schedule without problem as well. It all depends on  your working atmosphere.

Batch annealing is not recommended. We have had many testers report excessive breakage when they try to batch anneal our moonstones. It's risky – you can feel free to try and see if it works for you, but if you do, please try only a couple of simple beads at first to make sure you don't waste your glass or your efforts.
Yes, flame striking is what you need. The moonstones do not seem to strike in the kiln. The level of translucency you have achieved by striking in the torch is the level of translucency you will see come out of the kiln.

Here are all the tips from testers on our Cirrus page: http://www.creationismessy.com/color.aspx?id=3
You can assume these tips apply to Halong Bay & Peacock Green as well. Also, please note [especially from the photos on that page] that the moonstones work best in large applications – small spacer beads or hollows or thin pressed leaves, etc. are more difficult to strike and achieve translucency.
I would pay special attention to Gloria Sevey's post on that page as she is sort of a Cirrus expert. : )

flame n fuse

thanks! I think that explains it. I shall have to try it over dichroic.