Is there anyone local to Bracknell in Berkshire who can show me the ropes?

Started by Tonyb, December 06, 2013, 11:55:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonyb

Hi,

I'm a newbie who's managed to melt a few blobs together so far using a Nortel Minor but am struggling with the basics. Is there a kind sole living near Bracknell that would be willing to show me how it's done properly? I'd gladly come and visit to watch someone with a little experience.

Thanks

Tony

www.beadables.co.uk

Shirley

Barbara Mason isn't too far from you in Swindon. Lovely lady who makes lovely beads. Her website is http://www.glass-beads.co.uk/
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

helbels

Hi Tony

I am in Fleet in Hampshire, but I have a teeny tiny working area at the end of my bed!   If your set up is any bigger than mine, I'd be happy to come to you and show you what's what  ;D

I also use a Minor and have been doing this for 4 years or so, so I hope I'd be of some use...

Depends if you want a visitor though!

Helen.

babyshoes

Google reckons you're almost an hour's drive from me, if you'd like to travel that far one weekend - I live close to the junction of the M1 and M25.

I'm a relative newbie (been torching since a one-day lesson in Feb) but have shown a few friends the basics - they were able to produce fairly round beads by the end of it.  :)

Otherwise, there are some very good beginner videos on youtube, as well as some really badly filmed ones and quite a lot that are terrifyingly advanced - glass sculpture etc, but most of them can teach you something, even if it's just watching how they hold the rod or how big the flame is or how gloopy their glass is before they use it. I've taught myself some new techniques from watching a zillion videos! Just type in key words like 'lampwork' and 'glass beads' then see what you find.

Pauline

RedHot Sal's series of DVDs are brilliant both to learn initially and return to over and over again

ruth

Quote from: Pauline on December 06, 2013, 11:45:08 PM
RedHot Sal's series of DVDs are brilliant both to learn initially and return to over and over again

Seconded
Frittering the children's inheritance.

marklaird

Hi Tony,
I'm in camberley so only 20 minutes or so away. I'm on a hothead, have been for a year, but more than happy to pass on some experience.

I'm travelling a fair amount for work st the moment but I'm around at the weekends generally, except tomorrow when I'm off to Barcelona.

Mark

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: ruth on December 07, 2013, 05:15:21 PM
Quote from: Pauline on December 06, 2013, 11:45:08 PM

Seconded

I've got volume 2 'beyond the basics' up fr grabs if anyone would like for £10 inc P&P.  I agree, they are really good, but have watched them and DVD player now extinct / not likely to be replaced this year.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Carefulkate

Tonyb

Quote from: marklaird on December 07, 2013, 05:30:01 PM
Hi Tony,
I'm in camberley so only 20 minutes or so away. I'm on a hothead, have been for a year, but more than happy to pass on some experience.

I'm travelling a fair amount for work st the moment but I'm around at the weekends generally, except tomorrow when I'm off to Barcelona.

Mark

Thanks Mark,

I will PM you

Tony

www.beadables.co.uk

Tonyb

Quote from: helbels on December 06, 2013, 06:15:04 PM
Hi Tony

I am in Fleet in Hampshire, but I have a teeny tiny working area at the end of my bed!   If your set up is any bigger than mine, I'd be happy to come to you and show you what's what  ;D

I also use a Minor and have been doing this for 4 years or so, so I hope I'd be of some use...

Depends if you want a visitor though!

Helen.

Thanks Helen,

I will PM you

Tony

www.beadables.co.uk

Blue Box Studio

Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr