glass fusing base...

Started by Lisa, October 24, 2013, 01:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa

Hi i am looking for some advice please..i have been on a few short courses but the teacher has always fired my work so i have a few questions to ask you guys!
when firing my glass in my hobbyfuser kiln what is best to have underneath the glass so i get a really shiny finish ?
some work that i did using bullseye glass was really rough like sand paper underneath and looked as though it was sandblasted when i got it back, and another class i did using the same bullseye glass turned out shiny and perfect both sides . i wondered if the guy maybe fired my work on fibre paper or something but he never did tell me why it turned out like that...even the items he slumped for me so i am thinking maybe thats the finish you get from something else like kiln wash?
i am really keen to know as id like to start on the right foot and not buy several products if i dont need them.
advice is really really appreciated thank you
thanks

Chameleon

I tend to use bullseye thinfire paper on the kiln shelf for fusing for ease as much as anything and on a normal full fuse schedule get a nice reverse side. I'm sure someone else will be along who can advise about kiln wash (I only use that on moulds !)

micpru

Thin fire paper fir me every time x
Michaela x

dinah46

I don't know if you've found Brad's site yet, http://www.warmglass.com/tutorial, it's got a wealth of information on it and the bulletin board is where everyone posts their questions and answers. I definitely got a lot out of it way back when I started fusing and there were no UK sites to be found.  There's a lot more info around now but I still think the tutorials on Brad's site are worth a look.

flame n fuse

you can get a very nice finish with kiln wash (sometimes better than thin fire) if you rub it gently to make a polished surface before using it.

Barnacle Bay

Quote from: flame n fuse on October 24, 2013, 10:54:46 AM
you can get a very nice finish with kiln wash (sometimes better than thin fire) if you rub it gently to make a polished surface before using it.

Agree with the above and it works out a lot cheaper  ;)

dinah46

Quote from: flame n fuse on October 24, 2013, 10:54:46 AM

Agreed.  A tip I was given was to put a nylon stocking over your hand before rubbing lightly over the shelf.

Lisa

thankyou all this advice is great! i have to wait till monday till i get my paper and kiln wash so i am going to look at the tutorials mentioned and do some reading. monday i will do a sample in the kiln and see how i go!

Barnacle Bay

Loads of experimenting - keep us posted  ;)

Lisa

definately lots and lots of trial and error barniclebear!