Frit-Happens !
September 26, 2018, 06:21:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
your ad here
News:
Where are you?? Add yourself to the NEW FHF map here  | On flickr? Join our Frit Happens group: here

VISIT THE WIKI HERE
Get FH Status updates via twitter @FritHappens

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Bavarian Beads
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Half beads  (Read 1146 times)
lemon kitten
Forum Member

« on: October 23, 2013, 08:15:47 PM »

How on earth do I split my beads in half for slumping?  I've tried using a metal punch to split down the hole but the entire bead just breaks.......any suggestions please?

Janey

Never stand up in a canoe!
qwirkyglass
Forum Member

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 08:32:21 PM »

mine do it on thier own when i let them get too cold before putting them in bubbles.
do you cool in bubbles or kiln? Smiley

lemon kitten
Forum Member

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 08:35:47 PM »

No I anneal in the kiln.....but I do sometimes want to use beads that haven't quite turned out the way I want.  I never purposely make beads to slump

J x

Never stand up in a canoe!
julieHB
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 08:56:18 PM »

I filed the point of a round nail so that it had two opposite sharp edges, and when the point is inserted into the bead hole only the edges touch the glass. Then, with confidence (!), I hit the nail with a hammer. After some practice you'll end up with two halves - they might not be exactly equal in size, but pretty close. This works best with beads that are equally thick around the circumference. For lentils and similar I suggest melting them down as they are, or optionally grind one side flat before fusing.

Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: