Oxycon Hissing!!! Is this normal?

Started by cas, November 05, 2013, 09:07:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cas

Hi

I've just set up my new minor!!!  :D

I tried it for the first time yesterday and the oxycon seems to be hissing from where the tube connects to the torch.

Is this normal????

Hamilton Taylor

Sounds like you have a leak. Don't worry, its not dangerous, as long as the oxycon is in the same airspace as your torch.
Disconnect the hose from the torch, then wrap electrical or masking tape around the barb to fatten it up a bit, so the hose can be pushed on with an interference fit. It should be tight enough that there is no need to clamp - then it won't leak!

Sean  :)

cas

Hi

Do you mean that if i put masking tape round it. I don't need to clamp it with the clip?

Hamilton Taylor

yep. If the oxy inlet on the torch is made just fat enough with some sort of tape, (or maybe a short piece of rubber or silicone tubing, which is tidier), you can push the hose over the tape, and the fit will be tight enough so that a clip is not required. This is how I run my torches - it makes changing them around easier. The fit should be tight enough so that even with the torch valve off, the pressure in the hose will not pop the hose off the torch. This way, you'll have no leak.

Sean

cas

Ok i'll give that a go!

Thanks for your help Sean.