Regulator question

Started by cbeadies, October 02, 2013, 07:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbeadies

I've had my set-up for a few years now, haven't had any problems with it, but I'm just wondering how often the regulator should be checked or replaced?
I never really touch it, just leave it on the setting recommended by Martin when purchased and all works fine, but to be safe, should I be occasionally testing it or anything?
Thanks.

Jill

SilverGems89

I shouldn't think you would ever have any problems with the regulator itself, I would however probably check your connections for leaks pretty regular (I usually do mine every time I change propane and then sometimes whenever I think it's been a while!)

mizgeorge

I've had a couple of regulators fail, one after about five years' use and another after about two. Luckily, they're one of the least expensive parts of the whole setup!

SilverGems89

How do you know if one has failed George? The one we use at work is very old and decrepit looking but still works fine! (that I can tell!)

mizgeorge

I knew when the flame didn't change when I adjusted the regulator! I use mine at different settings (depending on which torch I'm using) so it was pretty easy to tell!

SilverGems89

Barnacle Bay

I have to have my set up checked as part of my insurance requirements and have it done yearly alongside the gas boiler etc.

Moira HFG

In the NHS we have gas regulators rebuilt every 5 years, as there are parts in them that wear and degrade over time - that's the gold standard!

I think that's excessive for a standard propane set-up though, unless you are running public classes 5 days a week.

I'm in the habit of giving all my stuff a check once a month. I spend half an hour looking for frayed or hardened cables, any play on the regulator and torch knobs, clean out the torch nozzles, sweep the benches well to get rid of all the glass bits etc etc. Then you don't miss things going wrong slowly!